Come Clean review by Puddle of Mudd

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Puddle of Mudd: Come Clean

The sound here is very much tight, heavy rhythm guitar, no guitar heroics, just nice solid riffs- and some good ones at that. Some of the production was helped along by Fred Durst, and you can really hear his influence on the album, but in a good way; it's a kind of nu-metal-meets-grunge vibe that comes off really well. Puddle of Mudd haven't exactly redefined modern music with Come Clean, but that's not what they were trying to do, this is music to mosh and have a good time to.

The lyrics are really good, some cracking song writing going on here. Ranging from the evocative verses of Blurry to the tenseness of the bridge in Control, each song unwinds in a fresh way that isn't just bog standard rock cliches re-hashed in a new format. Very mature and unique vocals that compliment the music. Wesley Scantlin's voice is somewhere between a whine and a growl at times, kind of like Cobain, but never feeling like a rip off.

The album is generic, but it definitely isn't trend setting either, so comparisons with most other grunge/hard rock bands are justified, but be careful not to cast Puddle of Mudd off as just another rock band, this a great album which I've owned for years now, and I keep coming back to. Stand out songs are Control, Blurry and Out of My Head, for its' killer opening riff. Also included is an acoustic version Control, which is something of a drag to say the least. The power of the song just doesn't translate to acoustic and is a completely unnecessary addition to the album. If it got lost or stolen I would replace this album, not because it's the most important album in my life, but because it always makes for a fun listen when cracked out every once in a while.

benthegrunge
    this wasnt the debut album of puddle of mudd, life on display was, this is 2nd. other than that i pretty much agree with whats bin said, not a brilliant album but does what it says on the tin
    Mainer
    Puddle of Mudd is pretty good, kinda gone down hill over the past couple years. I love She Hates Me and Blurry