Famous review by Puddle of Mudd

• Released: Oct 9, 2007
Puddle of Mudd: Famous

If there's one thing that Puddle Of Mudd will never skimp on in their music, it's attitude. On the band's 2002 record Come Clean, the single She Hates Me was an infectious listen thanks to vocalist Wes Scantlin's cynical, hardened delivery. Sure, there were other traditional rock elements that made for a catchy song, but it was Scantlin's gritty vocals that made the song truly stick out. With the Kansas City band's latest offering Famous, you'll be getting a good dose of that same vibe, with songs that are catchy, radio friendly (with the multiple expletives edited out, of course), and lyrically fantastic venting sessions. Puddle Of Mudd has never been overly inventive, but there's something likeable about the fairly standard riffs and Scantlin's pissed-off delivery. Some might think the band is just one in a long line of familiar rock bands on the scene, but there is something to be said about a straightforward song like their old single She Hates Me. The band apparently decided to try and resurrect that same magic, and that's very evident on songs like Psycho and I'm So Sure. The tracks stick in your head immediately and Scantlin's emotions ooze through every line. It's obvious that the band still has a touch of grunge rock inside of them, too, in I'm So Sure, which almost has a Nirvana vibe during the chorus. For all of the anger that comes through the faster tempo tracks on Famous, the band is not afraid to show a softer side with a few laid-back tracks. It Was Faith delivers the usual love song formula and could be interchangeable with numerous rock bands' ballads (including Nickelback, which is probably not what this band is going for). As much as record labels love to put out love songs as singles, Puddle Of Mudd thankfully doesn't let the album get oversaturated by unnecessary ballads. Livin' On Borrowed Time is a song that has a lot of potential, until you realize that it sounds strikingly similar to The Vines' Get Free. The 2 bands are very different and it probably wasn't intentional, but it's hard to get past the fact that you find yourself singing Get Free during the chorus. But if you can overlook the familiar sound to it all, it's a likeable track.

The cynical lyrics continue to come through with the latest material, but that's probably one of the most endearing qualities about Puddle Of Mudd. The single Famous delivers all the bite that you'd hope from Scantlin and is a suitable opener to the record. He sings, 'Cause I just wanna be famous; Be so f--king jaded; Cause all the Playboy bunnies take my money from me. There's just a rebellious, caustic attitude permeating this track and pretty much every song, but that's something that will connect with audiences more than anything.

Famous won't blow anyone's mind in terms of the music, but technical guitar solos/riff or complex compositions weren't probably the draw for Puddle Of Mudd's fan base in the first place. There does seem to be an honest, earthy feel to every song on Famous, and that's important in itself. For anyone who thought that the band was overrated and fairly generic to begin with, the latest album will not bring any new revelations. But if you're looking for an album full of songs that are great for venting frustration, Puddle Of Mudd is your band.

Tummaenkeli
    Phantomsword, I have not ever heard that song, but I'm sure it was not a 'ripoff', more of a homage.
    Harvey_Danger
    Because they're so similar! /sarcasm I'm not the biggest fan of this band, but I can see they're appeal. And I do really like one of their songs.
    rockfanatik00
    im from the same area as wes scantlin so there are a LOT of people who love puddle of mudd where i live and they're one of my favorites as well but they're nothing special or legendary like led zeppelin
    Eche
    anyone that dares to compare this lame excuse of music to nirvana or kurt cobain should shut up. seriously.
    asilay
    Switchmunky7
    Nirvana and Kurt did what few band were doing at the time and that was to go against the grain of what was seen as normal. Kurt had a good sense of melody and even tho his riffs were simple they were genius cause they got stuck in your head. Puddle of Mudd on the other hand is not my cup of rock but they are out there making money while you guys are bitching about how much they suck! What have you guys done lately to promote your music instead of bitching about others?
    the1
    asilay wrote: nirvana was alright and all but there's really nothing special about them other than the fact that they kinda pioneered grunge. and kurt cobain really wasn't that great. he sucked at guitar and his vocals blew. the one thing that makes him memorable at all is his death, which speaks to most people and says "wow, he really meant all that shit he was saying" like i said, nothing special. there's tons of emo kids out there writing shitty guitar riffs and suicidal lyrics who go about killing themselves. why don't you go worship them instead of kurt?
    Wow, you're just plain wrong.
    Switchmunky7
    Uhm, nah, don't think so. This guy looks too much like a Calvin Klein poster boy to be like Kurt.
    Chimpy101
    +1 Sounds fair enough But seriously though, what's the point in bitching about who is better? It's all opinion and surely at least some of you must have something better to do with your time?
    Phantomsword
    i actually had started to get into the song "Famous" until i heard the line "Your money is for nothin and your chicks are for free". What a blatant ripoff of The Dire Straits.
    Harvey_Danger
    Elohel wrote: Kreuger wrote: And Elohel I'd have to argue Cobain had little to no talent at all but that's my opinion Even if you don't like Nirvana, at least Cobain wrote his own songs. Not like these hacks.
    Ha. Maybe he'd have been better off if he hadn't.
    asilay
    hardrocker64
    Famous is good. There are a few weak songs on this cd. They are trying way to hard to make radio songs. Unlike the hits they have had was them writing their music. and it sounded good. You can tell the record co. had a lot of input as to what was going on this. What a shame.
    theexperience13
    i think its pretty damn hilarious that a band that had some minor fame about 5 years ago is writing songs about being 'Famous'.
    easthatred
    Theres a drive for every CD and this Record just kills. Ive always liked this band because they remind me of Pearl Jam. Im not comparing how they go about their business. Im talkin how they just do good old fashion rock that pleases many. The song "It Was Faith" is on of my favorites on this. It had a Our Lady Peace feel to it i think. I would have given it an 8.5 because it was way worth the money i spent. Also I'd like to thank people for bashing lyrics. I can bash so many bands for using the same or relative verses of other songs but its easiest to let the kiddos get their ways so they stop getting angry over the internet.
    Switchmunky7
    asilay wrote: im not bitching, i just don't see what the big deal is with kurt. theres nothing special about him. he's just another singer, from another band, who wouldn't even really be considered great, if kurt didn't go and kill himself why would you wanna idolize that?
    Who said any of us idolize him because he killed himself? You forget that there are a few of us who appreciated and respect him from before his suicide and loved the music he and Nirvana made. They aren't the most musically creative stuff compared to nowadays but we love the simplicity and the neat melodies he created, open your mind before you open your mouth just for the sake of being opiniated.
    Nhex
    perilouspete wrote: Phantomsword, obviously that line is from the Dire Straits, they're just using it in the song to get the same point accross. what's wrong with borrowing a famous line and tying it in with your own song? it's kind of honoring the band that wrote it in the first place anyway.
    that was what I was thinking
    Elohel
    Harvey_Danger
    Gakusey wrote: Harvey_Danger wrote: Gakusey wrote: Whatever, I'm not much into them. The new Alter Bridge is much better! Because they're so similar! /sarcasm I could see the sarcasm coming. I meant that both albums got reviewed here around the same time so, well, in that regard they are similar. Yesterday Alter Bridge was on the front page and today these guys are. Sorry for not clarifying that up.
    Apples and oranges, dude.
    perilouspete
    breadstick
    Wes Scantlin has always reminded me of Kurt Cobain, in looks and attitude. Good review imo.
    Subutex
    "it’s hard to get past the fact that you find yourself singing “Get Free” during the chorus" ahah... that happened to me! I started singing Get Free to that the first time I heard it xD
    blueskid99
    scantlin is a lot like cobain.when i saw them this summer,he came out on stage looking just like him with the long sleeve shirt,shorts,and his long hair over his face.then they played a nirvana cover,and it was really obvious who the band's main influence is...
    Gakusey
    Whatever, I'm not much into them. The new Alter Bridge is much better!
    poodledoodle
    In my personal opinion Puddle of Mudd is one of my favorite bands, but they write lyrics that turn people off of the whole band in only like 2 or 3 of their songs, like take control, the bridge is incredible stupid, but the rest of the song is amazing, and famous with a couple of its lines, people need to listen to the whole album bebefore they label it.
    staind_dust87
    I've never been an big Puddle Of Mudd fan, to me all they do is rip off Nirvana and Alice and Chains, just add a lot of F words and a lot more sex. Nothing new here, if you've heard one song, you've heard them all, if I have to hear "She Hates Me" one more time, I'm gonna shoot myself lol. I'd pick up the new Alter Bridge album over this one.
    hardrocker64
    They got some great songs. This cd is no different than the others. If anything, it has more slower radio friendly songs. Control, away from me, cloud 9, those tunes rock. Famous has grown on me.
    jay2029
    I was looking for the new Alter bridge when I picked up this one and Best Buy didn't have it, anyone know if it released in Canada yet? I gotta say I love the new Alter bridge too.
    MrShowerhead
    geez... "Famous" reminds me a little bit like "Rockstar" from Nickelback. same exact theme. Puddle of Mudd writes so decent stuff but I feel like they're way too generic.
    Elohel
    breadstick wrote: Wes Scantlin has always reminded me of Kurt Cobain, in looks and attitude.
    Cobain without the talent or originality, maybe. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but he has naturally brown hair? If he dyed it that Cobain-y blonde to further try and rip-off Nirvana he has serious issues.
    Kreuger
    I've only heard the song Famous so far and the whole idea of it reminded me of Rockstar by Nickelback but I liked it regardless. And Elohel I'd have to argue Cobain had little to no talent at all but that's my opinion
    Gakusey