Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate review by Puddle of Mudd

• Released: Dec 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Puddle of Mudd: Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate

If the title didn't tip you off, that is pretty much exactly what you'll be expecting on the record. Puddle of Mudd has proven that they can write a really catchy riff, and score a hit single. As with previous releases such as Famous and Life on Display, Puddle of Mudd provides the hard hitting rock songs mixed in with the occasional ballad. A tried and true formula for today's modern rock. They don't stray far from previous releases. In fact, while recording, they would go out on the road for about four or five days, then come back and work on new tracks in the studio. However, they deliver the same rock dynamics as seen on previous albums. This is not to say the instrumentation is bad though. The guitars are tight, crunchy and provide plenty of hooks. The drums are a highlight of the album. Big and soaring with tasty fills here and there.

Wes Scantlin has been accused many times as a Kurt Cobain soundalike. He has the grit, but always seemed more like a Layne Staley soundalike. But I digress. His voice works well whether it is an acoustical ballad, or a heavily distorted rock song. The lyrics are juvenile to say the least. There's the occasional "mature" themed lyric such as Keep It Together or Better Place. The opening track titled Stoned is an angst-ridden bit where Scantlin wishes the antagonist "left their attitude at the front door" and how he'd rather be "stoned". The next song, the lead single is Spaceship, a song about space sex with alien babes. It stays within the same topic and ends with a song titled Hooky, an ode to skipping school just to stay home to jerk off and screw around. An album of defiant rocks songs sure to keep the kids happy. Overall, it's laden with sexual innuendos subtle, plain and obscure and short on honesty.

Compared to their contemporaries, Puddle of Mudd produce an album that is subpar compared to their previous work. But the album does have some good tunes such as Spaceship, Out Of My Way, The Only Reason and Better Place. The songs are enjoyable because of their simplicity--they waste no time with technical guitar solos or adding effects here and there, they go straight for what they want you to hear, a solid rock and roll album, which is what you'll get. Although not as musically different or lyrically fresh as Famous, they deliver a decent effort. If lost or stolen, I'd probably get something else, because as hard as they try to please their fans, it falls somewhat short against some of their "better" contemporaries.

a7xboy
    this album knocks the spots off of life on display, almost as good as famous, but come clean is still the est.
    MotörHeadFan22
    southpaw_tdg wrote: i was excited for this album... disappointment... 35 year old guys singing about playing hookie and riding in spaceships? this is a play at the market, not anything thought prevoking. F-ing sell out
    rofl
    Burgery
    Life on Display - Great Come Clean - Great Famous - Meh Vol4 - ...bad...
    fendertelechick
    I won't even listen to it. The whole "trying to recapture my youth" thing is really not working for them nowadays. I sold the Famous album back to the store I got it from the same day I bought and got less than half back. Seems apt. I miss the Blurry days.
    Ranman1234
    Fender890 wrote: I actually kinda liked the album.....
    Yea me too, favorite song on it stoned. The others are okay.
    BassFishin
    melonhooters wrote: should've called it puddle of dudd "vol. stupid"
    ba-dum CHA! heh....eh hehe.....heh....s'funny...
    BreatheOver
    Burgery wrote: Life on Display - Great Come Clean - Great Famous - Meh Vol4 - ...bad...
    exactly my thoughts. I lost all respect for them on this new album. I got it for free as a promo CD from where I work and every song is just as bad as the one before it. I felt the songwriting was just pathetic for "Hooky"
    southpaw_tdg
    Randaman
    Randaman wrote: Stevie Wonder Leonard Cohen That is all.
    Oh, and Black Sabbath ^_^.
    oxymorcide
    Sounds gooood, though I dont usually like this stuff, I think I'ma give it a try.
    joshuajl69
    This band might be the most UNCREATIVE piece of work I've ever heard of. I mean seriously, "key of love and hate?" Thats pathetic. How does this band get so much press.