Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate review by Puddle of Mudd

• Released: Dec 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Puddle of Mudd: Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate

Let me start off by mentioning the sound off the album. If you've followed Puddle Of Mudd for a while than you should know that there sound has expanded a good amount since "Come Clean". Although "Vol. 4" isn't my favorite album from them, it's good enough that I play it through every once in a while. You have a great heavy song like "Stoned" which make you wanna head bang from start to finish, then you have a nice easy ballad like "The Only Reason" which make you think of that special someone. "Stoned" is definitely the best off the album. Although, the rest of the album doesn't really live up to it. "Spaceship" is a lot more groovy, without heavy crazy head banging techniques. Afterword, you come to "Keep It Together". A nice ballad that shows that PoM can really write from the heart. "Out Of My Way" plays, with a nice sound that makes you wanna sing along with. "Blood On The Table" is after that has a real good rhythm section and drum beat. Up to now, the album is a more than passable, but nothing to crave about. I really like the sound of "The Only Reason" though. Especially the solo which was done by Duane Betts, I think. "Pitchn' A Fit" takes off that takes a few listens before you can take a liking to it. "Uno Mas" gets going with pretty much the same sound as "Pitchin' A Fit". But, I'm not really complaining about it. It's a solid tune. As "Better Place" plays, you have a good way with it. Interesting effect being used for the lead guitar in the intro and verse. For the last track, you got "Hooky". *Sigh, not a favorite of mine. I tried to take a liking in it but it really does nothing for me, so I usually skip over it. "Dick 2": The acoustic songs are okay, "Better Place" doesn't really do much for me. "Crowsfeet" on the other hand, is probably my second favorite on the album ("Stoned" being first). The beginning is kinda strange, but it's got a great sound to it. Overall, I would give the sound a 7 for "good". Nothing great about it, but it's passable.

The lyrics off the album are either, generally solid to mediocre, or lazy. Songs that I would say are lazy would be "Stoned" (to a certain extent), "Blood On The Table", "Pitchn' A Fit", and "Uno Mas". Although, there are two songs I would say were very well written which would be "The Only Reason" and "Out Of My Way". All the other songs I didn't list are basically sitting on the borderline.

My overall impression would be good. Not there best by far, but it's worth trying out. I think "Stoned", "The Only Reason", and "Crowsfeet" are my favorite by far, and it's not even a contest. "Hooky" is definitely the worst of it all. Keeping the main album 10 songs I think was a mistake though. I know they wanted to make it shorter to reduce filler tracks and such but I think the album could benefit a lot more for an extra track. Maybe putting "Crowsfeet" in there and taking Hooky out would've been much more satisfying. Anyway, this album doesn't change the way I feel about PoM which is how they're my favorite band.