Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate Review

Label: Flawless/Geffen
 Lyrics: 5.5
 6.1
 6.2
Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate Reviewed by: KrisBcream, on february 28, 2012

Sound: Let me start off by mentioning the sound off the album. If you've followed Puddle Of Mudd for a while than you should know that there sound has expanded a good amount since "Come Clean". Although "Vol. 4" isn't my favorite album from them, it's good enough that I play it through every once in a while. You have a great heavy song like "Stoned" which make you wanna head bang from start to finish, then you have a nice easy ballad like "The Only Reason" which make you think of that special someone. "Stoned" is definitely the best off the album. Although, the rest of the album doesn't really live up to it. "Spaceship" is a lot more groovy, without heavy crazy head banging techniques. Afterword, you come to "Keep It Together". A nice ballad that shows that PoM can really write from the heart. "Out Of My Way" plays, with a nice sound that makes you wanna sing along with. "Blood On The Table" is after that has a real good rhythm section and drum beat. Up to now, the album is a more than passable, but nothing to crave about. I really like the sound of "The Only Reason" though. Especially the solo which was done by Duane Betts, I think. "Pitchn' A Fit" takes off that takes a few listens before you can take a liking to it. "Uno Mas" gets going with pretty much the same sound as "Pitchin' A Fit". But, I'm not really complaining about it. It's a solid tune. As "Better Place" plays, you have a good way with it. Interesting effect being used for the lead guitar in the intro and verse. For the last track, you got "Hooky". *Sigh, not a favorite of mine. I tried to take a liking in it but it really does nothing for me, so I usually skip over it. "Dick 2": The acoustic songs are okay, "Better Place" doesn't really do much for me. "Crowsfeet" on the other hand, is probably my second favorite on the album ("Stoned" being first). The beginning is kinda strange, but it's got a great sound to it. Overall, I would give the sound a 7 for "good". Nothing great about it, but it's passable. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics off the album are either, generally solid to mediocre, or lazy. Songs that I would say are lazy would be "Stoned" (to a certain extent), "Blood On The Table", "Pitchn' A Fit", and "Uno Mas". Although, there are two songs I would say were very well written which would be "The Only Reason" and "Out Of My Way". All the other songs I didn't list are basically sitting on the borderline. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression would be good. Not there best by far, but it's worth trying out. I think "Stoned", "The Only Reason", and "Crowsfeet" are my favorite by far, and it's not even a contest. "Hooky" is definitely the worst of it all. Keeping the main album 10 songs I think was a mistake though. I know they wanted to make it shorter to reduce filler tracks and such but I think the album could benefit a lot more for an extra track. Maybe putting "Crowsfeet" in there and taking Hooky out would've been much more satisfying. Anyway, this album doesn't change the way I feel about PoM which is how they're my favorite band. // 7

Volume 4: Songs In The Key Of Love & Hate Reviewed by: Tag43, on december 23, 2009

Sound: If the title didn't tip you off, that is pretty much exactly what you'll be expecting on the record. Puddle of Mudd has proven that they can write a really catchy riff, and score a hit single. As with previous releases such as Famous and Life on Display, Puddle of Mudd provides the hard hitting rock songs mixed in with the occasional ballad. A tried and true formula for today's modern rock. They don't stray far from previous releases. In fact, while recording, they would go out on the road for about four or five days, then come back and work on new tracks in the studio. However, they deliver the same rock dynamics as seen on previous albums. This is not to say the instrumentation is bad though. The guitars are tight, crunchy and provide plenty of hooks. The drums are a highlight of the album. Big and soaring with tasty fills here and there. // 6

Lyrics: Wes Scantlin has been accused many times as a Kurt Cobain soundalike. He has the grit, but always seemed more like a Layne Staley soundalike. But I digress. His voice works well whether it is an acoustical ballad, or a heavily distorted rock song. The lyrics are juvenile to say the least. There's the occasional "mature" themed lyric such as Keep It Together or Better Place. The opening track titled Stoned is an angst-ridden bit where Scantlin wishes the antagonist "left their attitude at the front door" and how he'd rather be "stoned". The next song, the lead single is Spaceship, a song about space sex with alien babes. It stays within the same topic and ends with a song titled Hooky, an ode to skipping school just to stay home to jerk off and screw around. An album of defiant rocks songs sure to keep the kids happy. Overall, it's laden with sexual innuendos subtle, plain and obscure and short on honesty. // 5

Overall Impression: Compared to their contemporaries, Puddle of Mudd produce an album that is subpar compared to their previous work. But the album does have some good tunes such as Spaceship, Out Of My Way, The Only Reason and Better Place. The songs are enjoyable because of their simplicity--they waste no time with technical guitar solos or adding effects here and there, they go straight for what they want you to hear, a solid rock and roll album, which is what you'll get. Although not as musically different or lyrically fresh as Famous, they deliver a decent effort. If lost or stolen, I'd probably get something else, because as hard as they try to please their fans, it falls somewhat short against some of their "better" contemporaries. // 6

Comments