Motivation For Getting Up In The Morning Review

Pug Jelly: Motivation For Getting Up In The Morning
Released: Sep 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Pop-Punk
With an album's worth of songs severely lacking in variety and originality where lyrical composition and musical arrangement are concerned, Pug Jelly appears as just another Singapore-based punk band that got a lucky break.
 7.6
 7.2
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Motivation For Getting Up In The Morning Reviewed by: deportivo, on january 18, 2005

Sound: Pug Jelly is a pop-punk trio (and soon to be quartet), based out of Singapore. The guys themselves aren't Singaporean: Sam, the singer/bassist is and his brother Matt, the drummer, are Australian. The band's guitarist is Masashi, hailin from Japan. They're CD (as far as I know) is only available in Asia as of yet, but with enough attention from the US and etc. these guys have the potential to make it quite big. These guys have the pop-punk sound that many have been looking for with the departure of many mainstream bands into other, more serious genres(i.e. Blink, GC, Sum 41). The album's catchy, well-produced songs make it and enjoyable listen with around 45 minutes of music. The guys did a great job of both writing/creating their songs and producing them in the studio. The band, if given enough attention, could be decent competition for other bands like NFG, or The Starting Line, or Mest or similar. A preview of several of their songs (and their first single, Come Home Soon, which has been made into a music video and is aired on MTV Asia) can be found on www.pugjelly.com. Hearing the songs for yourself will convey much more than me blabbing about them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of the songs on the album are incredibly catchy. Sam's singing ability and Mas's skills at backup harmonies and such make the songs enjoyable to listen and sing along to. The lyrics alone on a page may seem cheesy, but with the music they work very well. Once again, it's better to hear for yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is a quite decent pop-punk album and could compete in both quality and sound to many punk bands out there. There are a few star songs on the album, but for the most part each and every song is quite good and enjoyable on its own. I'd definitely recommend buying this album (I only wish it were available in the states). // 10

Motivation For Getting Up In The Morning Reviewed by: kheng_wai, on october 05, 2005

Sound: Basically another pop-punk band in the already-overcrowded genre. Initially I was ok listening to it (I was even into them for a while); but a few spins, I questioned the integrity of spending 18 SGD on it. The music is pretty decent, but give it a week, even a few days, and you'll be begging for a change. // 5

Lyrics: Personally, I'm into song-writing and the fact that these guys write their own songs earns some cookie points. But, I don't find anything appealing about the lyrics. Some songs like "Polo Horse" are so badly written you'd wonder if they put it in just to fill the spaces. The singer sounds alot like Simple Plan's Pierre Bouvier, especially on the last track, "Farewell." // 4

Overall Impression: As mentioned, another face in the crowd. If you want pop-punk that bad I'd recommend bands such as The Starting Line instead. "Come Home Soon" is a decent track, and probably the only decent track at that. If someone stole this CD, I'd probably won't be that anxious to get it back. Now, if only CD shops accept refunds. // 4

Comments