Punk-O-Rama, Vol. 8 review by Punk-O-Rama

• Released: May 20, 2003
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Punk-O-Rama: Punk-O-Rama, Vol. 8

Punk-O-Rama, Vol. 8. CD 1: 01. Distillers - I Am A Revenant 02. Motion City Soundtrack - Don't Call It A Comeback 03. Hot Water Music - Trusty Chords 04. Rancid - As Wicked 05. The Bouncing Souls - New Day 06. Matchbook Romance - The Greatest Fall Of All Time 07. NOFX - The Idiots Are Taking Over 08. Bad Religion - Who We Are 09. Division of Laura Lee - Trapped In 10. Ikara colt - Sink Venice 11. F-Minus - Sweating Blood 12. Sage Francis - Makeshift Patriot 13. The International Noise Conspiracy - A New Morning, Changing Weather 14. Randy - Welfare Problems 15. The Black Keys - Thickfreashness 16. Sugar Cult - Daddy's Little Defect 17. Beatsteaks - Wish 18. Looptroop - The Struggle Continues CD 2: 01. Death By Stereo - Unstoppable 02. Refused - Coup D'etat 03. Pennywise - Holiday In The Sun 04. Dropkick Murphys - Gonna Be A Black Out Tonight 05. Transplants - Quick Death 06. Atomosphere - Bird Sings Why The Caged I Knows 07. Turbonegro - Train Of Flesh 08. Tger Army - Incorporeal 09. Millencolin - Bowmore 10. Pulley - The Ocean Song 11. Guttermouth - Contribution 12. Bomshell - Warpath 13. Raisesd Fist - Get This Right! 14. No Fun At All - Lose Another Freind 15. US Bombs - Roll Around 16. Bad Religon - Shattered Faith 17. Error (Transplants Remix) - Quick Death

CD 1 starts off with three great songs which gives a quality introduction to the CD especially Hot water Music, although I still don't think Brady Armstrongs voice is any good. Track 4 is a little poor and a bit of cliche for Rancid really, whereas track 5 is actually pretty good. Matchbook Romance just are pathetically soppy and poor, death metal vocals in a love song? NOFX save the day thankfully with their politically themed "the idiots are taking over" with brilliant lyircs such as "Darwins rollin' over in his coffin, now the fittest are surviving much less often" and a abss line not to be missed. Track 8 is surprising poor whereas track 9 is a chilled out track thats good yet hardly relevant for this CD, if you know what I mean.

Although I don't really know much about this series, I brought it becuase it was 6.99 and looked cool, I've read some other reviews and apparently it symbolises Epitaph end as a purely punk label. Although I agree with this in part it doesnt mean that their arent any absouluty brilliant punk songs on it which, of course they are. CD 1 has a few hip hop songs track 12 is by far the best, with lyrics that I've actually used in my Sociology essay which says enough about that one. Randy desrve as much as priase as physically possible for simply mentioning a gamecube in their otherwise lack lustre song. Track 15 belongs 20 years ago and is just crap. SugarCults Okay, but the Beatsteaks give a storming post-outro thats kicks poontang into the mess the prevous 3 tracks had created. Track 18 is a slick piece of Hip hop and aint too bad. CD 2 with the exception possibly of track one, the first 6 tracks on this album suck, which is a real shame because I had expected more of Pennywise. Davey Havocs guest appearance on the Transplants song does the band and Davey no justice as it's just random noise and "rapping". However when the intro riff for Turbo Negros track kicks in all of this forggoten as the Norweigen band sing such catchy and comedic lyrics as "hold on, hold on, on the ball, I need a f--king orgasm". Tracks 7, 8 and 9 made this album for me to be quite honest, Tiger Armys fantastically sombre yet uplifting "Incorporal" is simply astounding to listen to over and over with innovative riffs and hooks. Millencolin lead up on this and do not disapoint, well how could they not, with a song written by their Drummer, Larzon, about drug and/or alcohol abuse that leaves the listener inspired and fufilled. Funnily enough "Bowmore" was strangly missed out from "Home from Home" which is absurd, considering some the meagre and average rock songs on it, cough "Montego" cough. The next 6 songs apart from track 13 range from the tongue in cheek "Roll around" by US Bombs to the Pennywise-esque track 14. Yet all are astounding in their own way, yes even Guttermouth, which gives CD 2 a much punker and therefore greater flavour to it, rather than the hotch potch of CD 1. CD 2 ends with a phenomenal Bad Religon song with, as always, incomprehensibly astounding lyircs, which makes up for the pretty poor song on CD 1. As for Errors remix, I've never listened to it and to be honest I dont care. Punk-O-Rama 8 I think is a treat of CD, even if you re not a big punk fan, there's really something here for everyone, but you'll like it better if you like punk music to be honest. And at such a cheap price for 35 songs who can argue.