A Day At The Races review by Queen

• Released: Dec 18, 1976
Queen: A Day At The Races

The music is very straightforward, short direct songs that rely on lyrics, vocals, simple instruments and energy with little or nothing in the way of the sort of special effects that are sometimes used to reinforce weaker bands. Classic rock indeed.

Tie Your Mother Down: Brian May's rocker that he still plays today. Someone else said in their review that they didn't like the opener and its perfect Queen opening and flows right into this song. People say its too raunchy and violent, which I just laugh at because its just a fun song. Great way to start the album off with energy with some classic queen fun 8/10 You Take My Breath Away: Truly overlooked, it's extremely beautiful and touching espicially the desperacy in Freddie's voice in the lyrics "So please don't go don't leave me here all by myself I get ever so lonely from time to time... I will find you anywhere you go." Don't overlook this song showcases Freddie's ballad songwriting. 9.5/10 Long Away - Really great song from Brian it's alot of peoples favourite on the album 8.5/10 The Millionaire Waltz - A great example of the true genious of Freddie. This is one of the Queen songs that grows on you and at first you hear it and it doesn't catch you but if you give it a chance it is truly an enjoyable song. 8.5/10 You and I - John Deacon CANNOT be underestimated his songs are really good and I do not dislike one Deacon song. 8.5/10 Somebody To Love - Could be the best song on the album, one of Queen's masterpieces. As strong as Bohemian Rhapsody in the vocal department. Amazing Song! 10/10 White Man - Good song, tight guitar work! 7.5/10 Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy - Like Millionare Waltz, it really grows on you. It's classic artsy, original, playful Freddie Mercury. Fun Song 9/10 Drowse - Taylor's song... it's not bad it's just a little boring. 6/10 Teo Torriatte - Another beautiful song by Freddie, more beatiful vocals and piano great way to close the album. 9/10 Most of the songs are written by Brian May and Freddie Mercury with one number apiece from the other band members Deacon and Taylor. It's very hard to select a favourite from this album as every song is good and there is no filler.

This is very much a sister album to "A Night at the Opera" which was released shortly before. Day at the Races certainly belongs in anyone's Queen collection.