A Day At The Races review by Queen

• Released: Dec 18, 1976
Queen: A Day At The Races

This album, like a few, goes downhill right after A Night At The Opera but still is a great album and is definately worth listening to. Sort of a "sister" album to A Night At The Opera. Music styles include hard-rock (Tie Your Mother Down), waltz (The Millionaire Waltz), and ballad (Somebody To Love).

01. Tie Your Mother Down - written by Brian May. A great song written about a guy who wants his girl to her mother down and get her father outdoors so he can have his way with her. The New York Times called it "Sheer Bloody Poetry." 02. You Take My Breath Away - written by Freddie Mercury. No there is no Jessica Simpson here, she probably wasn't even born yet for another 4 years. Anyway a gentle, touching ballad that brings a tear to the eye. 03. Long Away - written by Brian May. A favourite for many on this album and a great song at that. Weird lyrics, especially at the part "stare at the moon all day." Ok! Great song nonetheless. 04. The Millionaire Waltz - written by Freddie Mercury. A very unique song and very different from the usual structure of Rock music, but that's Queen for you! 05. You And I - written by John Deacon. A great song by John Deacon, he's probably one of the most underrated songwriters in the band, but maybe one of the best. A poignant ballad with great vocals by Freddie. 06. Somebody To Love - written by Freddie Mercury. A brilliant song, Freddie Mercury is a genius! Excellent Vocals! The best song on the album by far! 07. White Man - written by Brian May. Tight guitar and great vocals. Pounding drums with great solos. Very spiritual, though it doesn't seem that way. Strong chorus, too! 08. Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy - written By Freddie Mercury. A very fun song and probably the only song like this on the entire album. A very fun solo, too! The song is just fun! 09. Drowse - written by Roger Taylor. A good use of a slide-guitar, really went well with the song and great vocals by Roger. Just like what the last reviewer said, this isn't a bad song it's a little boring. 10. Teo Torriatte - written by Brian May. This song is almost like a tribute to the fans over in Japan. Great Japanese lyrics for the song. Such a great ending to a great album.

This isn't better than A Night At The Opera but it's almost just as good. The really impressive songs are Tie Your Mother Down, Somebody To Love, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy and Teo Torriatte. I love that the band made this a "sister" album because the sounds are so different yet the album artwork are similar. I hate that both albums couldn't have more songs, but I guess that would ruin the greatness of the albums. If it was stolen I would definately buy it again. If it was lost I would constantly search for it. It is definately worth buying. If you've listened to A Night At The Opera you'll love this album.

bluesman6885
    This album is most definitely quintessential for any Queen fan...its genius will forever be overshadowed by A Night At The Opera. Great album, not a bad song on it. My personal favorite is "Teo Torriate (Let Us Cling Together)."
    Quark113
    Hevoc (in his review)said John Deacon CANNOT be underestimated his songs are really good and I do not dislike one Deacon song.
    Not even One Year of Love?! That song's worse than We Are The Champions, which is not worthy of cleaning up my cat's hairballs!!!!!