A Night at the Opera review by Queen

• Released: Nov 18, 2005
Queen: A Night at the Opera

Better then Pink floyd. They are using the guitar so mutch that they have there own music style.

Singer skills? Great we are talking about Freddie Mercury.

It's hard to find an adjective for this album that does it justice. 'A Night At The Opera' is quite possibly Queen's best album outside of the 'Greatest Hits' series. This album is everything you can expect from classic Queen. These were the days before they really got into rock, although that definitely doesn't mean this isn't a rock album! There are 3 kinds of songs on this album. The first is the more emotional songs, songs from the heart. The first of these, 'You're My Best Friend' was written by Deacon for his girlfriend (later to be his wife), and is quite a catchy song. It is also one of Queen's most under-rated songs and is a testament to John's songwriting skills. The next one is '39', which is, if you count in order from the first album, the 39th Queen song. This is a gentle May song. Not quite the same as 'You're My Best Friend', but still a good song. 'Love Of My Life' is the emotional piece we sometimes come to expect from Queen, and it does not dissappoint in that sense at all. It isn't a song to be appreciated by the more rock-orientated Queen fans, but is nevertheless a good song, whatever your preference. 'Good Company' is a jolly little song that just makes you want to sing along to it. The other kind of song is the 'jolly' songs that aren't really anything except comical and loving. 'Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon' may be short, but it certainly makes up for it in quality. It's a happy song that makes you want to sit next to a piano and play. 'Seaside Rendezvous' is of similar calibre, but even better. Its name captures its essence, and is really quite a happy song for singing on sunny days. These kinds of songs don't really get the credit they deserve, and are unfairly ranked amongst Queen's 'lesser' songs by people who aren't quite into Queen fully. And then the rock songs. 'Sweet Lady' might not be considered to be that rocky by most people, but I think it deserves its place in this category for its rough but enjoyable chords. 'The Prophet's Song' is one of Queen's overlooked masterpieces. It may not be a song you can easily remember (being over 8 minutes long) or even one to sing (at one time, 'three' Mercuries are singing different parts) but it is a very good piece of music with a tune that is perfect for creating atmosphere. 'God Save The Queen' is also an overlooked song, and May's performance never seems to get the praise it deserves. And neither does 'I'm In Love With My Car' which is a powerful rock song by Taylor. And of course, there's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', the song that made Queen famous, featuring in the film 'Wayne's World', it is quite a contrasting song. It has its cultural ballad at the beginning which can be quite moving, and then its famous rock chorus and the moment everyone picks up their air guitars and go crazy. The song of the first music video is certainly best when watched as well as listened to. If you are lucky enough to be in the right state of mind then you will truly appreciate the greates song ever. But greatness is something different from our concepts of 'best' and 'worst'. And that is why I would have to say the the best song of 'A Night At The Opera' is the quite marvellous 'Death On Two Legs', dedicated to Queen's former manager who was supposed to have cheated them out of quite a few royalties for their earlier work. The lyrics and tune are harsh, powerful, and uncompromising. They are also superb. It is one the definitive Queen songs. If anyone were to ever ask "What is Queen?" then this song goes a long way in answering that question. And so does this album. This most probably the best album EVER, so I suggest you go buy it and listen to it over and over again, learn all the words, and take it to parties. The question is "Will you do the fandango?"