A Night at the Opera review by Queen

• Released: Nov 18, 2005
Queen: A Night at the Opera

The music styles range from hard rock, pop, folk, and even progressive. They did a good job of mixing opera with rock creating a whole new sound and making a trademark for themselves. This album's sound is all over the place! It's just fun and that's what adds to the album's charm.

The lyrics, again, suit the style of the music very well. Each member's songwriting skills vary and have their own way of writing songs. 01. Death On Two Legs - a great opener for the album with a great build-up intro! A real raunchy rocker with harsh lyrics about about a manager who really screwed them over. Great rocker 4/5. 02. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - a very short, but very fun ragtime song! Great harmonizing in the guitar solo 3/5. 03. I'm In Love With My Car - great blues-rocker track! Great vocals by drummer Roger Taylor. Although, this song doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the album 3/5. 04. You're My Best Friend - a poignant ballad written by John Deacon. Great vocals by Freddie. A hit off the album and also happens to be John Deacon's first song to be released as a single. A great hit 4/5. 05. '39 - a folk tune with vocals by Brian May. Though the music has a Folk feel, the lyrics are actually written about space and time travel. Wonderful song 4/5. 06. Sweet Lady - another hard-rocker! Again, this song just doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Subpar lyrics and musical arrangements. A great riff and an amazing solo at the end 3/5. 07. Seaside Rendezvous - campy! Another ragtime song with quirky lyrics and vocals that are tongue in cheek. Cool vocal orchestrations by Freddie and Roger that resemble Brass and Wind instruments. Fun song 4/5. 08. The Prophet's Song - an amazing Progressive Rock song! Lengthy with running time at 8:21. Amazing guitar, bass, drum, and vocal performances all around! I love the vocal solo and how it echoes back and forth. Great spiritual song 5/5. 09. Love Of My Life - another poignant ballad with terrific piano and vocals by Freddie Mercury. A favourite off the album. Such a touching song 5/5. 10. Good Company - another campy song with vocals by Brian May. Resembles an entire jazz band playing the song but just Brian's guitar amps and effects. Good song 3/5. 11. Bohemian Rhapsody - the album's best track and possibly Queen's greatest song in their catalogue! This song alone took over 3 weeks to record. Amazing vocal performances all around by the band with astonishing musical arrangements! Freddie Mercury is an absolute musical genius! A personal favourite of mine and by many other Queen fans and many non-Queen fans! This song was rediscovered when it was featured in the 1992 comedy "Wayne's World" when it suddenly went straight to #1, becoming the only single to top the charts in two totally different occasions! Now that's a classic that won't fail to please the ears! A true highlight 5/5. 12. God Save The Queen - an overlooked instrumental piece with amazing guitars by Brian May. The drums give it a pretty neat effect too 4/5.

It did compare to other Queen albums like "Queen II" and ANATO's sister album "A Day At The Races" but seing how this is the greatest Queen album, it does not compare to any other albums. The impressive songs are without a doubt "The Prophet's Song" and "Bohemian Rhapsody." I love that this album uses frequent segues. I also love that the band didn't take it too seriously which helped bring out the fun and freewheeling style of this album. There is absolutely nothing that I hate about this album. If it were stolen/lost, I would search for it non-stop and if I couldn't find it, I would definitley buy another copy! It is the ultimate Queena album anybody should add to their collection. It is another all-time favourite for me and is an ultimate classic!