A Night at the Opera review by Queen

• Released: Nov 18, 2005
Queen: A Night at the Opera

After the huge sucess of 'Sheer Heart Attack' Queen went back to the studios knowing that there was going to be a lot of expectation for their next album. The recording sessions were made in different studios, sometimes with one member of the band playing on his own. Queen already gained a lot of popularity on the last year, but seems to be like that wasn't enough for them. They wanted to inmortalize themselves because they were concerned of how much talent they had, and that was the reason why 'A Night At The Opera' is one of the best albums ever. Of course there was a song called 'Bohemian Rhapsody' that had a lot to do with that. 01. Death On Two Legs - one of Queen most controversial songs. The song is dedicated to Jack Nelson, one of Queen's first managers when they had a deal with Trident. Nelson according to Freddie, stole a lot money from Queen, and then fleed to the United States leaving the band with a lot of debts. On the Live Killers video you can hear Freddie saying "This song is dedicated to a motherf--ker of a gentleman." 02. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - I don't kno why but these old fashion songs written by Freddie are so catchy! This is one of the best 'old fashion' type songs he did. Another good one is 'Bring Back That Leroy Brown' off the 'Sheer Heart Attack' album. 03. I'm In Love With My Car - this is a song that shows Roger's great passion for cars. It's dedicated to John Harris, one of Queen's early roadies. The 'Jazz' album is also dedicated to him. 04. You're My Best Friend - this was the first Queen single written by John. This is a very nice tune that John made for his best friend, and wife, Veronica. 05. 39' - this is a nice folked styled ballad written by Brian. It has a lot to be with astrology, which was Brian's major before turning to music. The idea might have come from the short story 'The Poet' by Herman Hesse from the collection "Strange News From Another Star." 39' is a beautiful song although it's kinda hard to understand it's meaning. 06. Sweet Lady - this is some kind of love/hate song with a heavy taste. 07. Seaside Rendezvous - this is a song with a lot of french in it, but that's exactly what gives that romantic touch, since most people think that french is the language of love. Freddie must be very inspired when writing this song, and after having it all done voila! Ces't Seaside Rendezvous. 08. The Prophet's Song - if you thought that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was the only masterpiece in this album, you were wrong. The Prophet's Song is one of those tunes that could only be made only one band in the world, and Queen knew nobody could ever imitate that kind of chorus. Similar to the opera section in 'Bohemian Rhapsody', this song was made by a cappella chorus layers put one after the other in a recording studio. 09. Love Of My Life - it is one of Queen's softest and most famous ballads. Although it wasn't very successful in Europe as a single, it had quite a lot of radio airplay. The song was number one in different countries in South America, and it's so popular there that when Queen had their first South American tour, the whole crowd chanted the complete song, even though english wasn't their language. 10. Good Company - here's Queen showing again that they weren't just a rock band. In this song they adopt a Hawaiian style, which gives 'Good Company' a nice moving taste. 11. Bohemian Rhapsody - it is if not the best, at least one of the best songs of all time. Just check all those polls that are being made to choose the best song of the century, and you will find out that 'Bo Rap' has a very high place on them. This is the song that inmortalized Queen, and wherever you are, you will always listen to it. 12. God Save The Queen - the only song that wasn't written by any of the members of the band to be featured on an studio album. This song shows the patriotism and pride that Queen had for their homeland and made an excellent finale for every Queen gig since 'A Night At The Opera.'

Lyrics all together on this album are very good and not just simple rhyming. The lyrics are symbolic and show how talented all of the band members were.

My favourite songs on the album are 'The Prophet's Song' and 'Death On Two Legs'. The Prophet's Song has this wierd echo chorus, I like of it like Freddie's vocal version on Brian's 'Bighton Rock' guitar solo. Death On Two Legs is just simply catchy. I feel that Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated, don't get me wrong it is a great song, but it's too well known and I feel people who say that's their favourite Queen song, they have not heard anything else. The worst song on the album is 'Bad Company', I just don't like it. But Queen are a band where their music grows on you, so I bet I will like it soon. If I lost it I would try and get a new copy. Overall, a great album. Not my favourite album from Queen, but it certainly has some amazing songs.

Quark113
    Also, Bohemian Rhapsody this, Bohemian Rhapsody that, SQUAK, SQUEAK, SCREECH! WTF IS WRONG W/ U PEOPLE?! Frickin' posers...Please, I beg you, listen to it more than 10 times.
    Quark113
    Better than Pink Floyd?! Come on, Hevoc, I respect Queen, they have some of the best songs and songwriters and musicians of the century, but come on...This is PINK FLOYD we are talking about here!!!!!