Greatest Hits I review by Queen

• Released: Sep 15, 1992
Queen: Greatest Hits I

This album really lives up to its name, it follows the charts pretty well. Despite this, it has a wide variety of sounds and yet retains that Queen sound of multi-vocal harmonies (which are strangely more prominent on the piano-driven tracks than on the guitar-driven tracks) and awesome riffs (for the guitar-driven tracks) and/or melodies (for the piano-driven songs). Strangely enough, the piano-driven tracks are more plentiful here than on their album art counterpart, classic Queen. But hey, this has got Fat Bottomed Girls, and who can complain with that?

01. We Will Rock You - average. Recognizable. A bit overrated. On the other hand, I never knew it had a (tiny) guitar solo at the end. Did you? 02. We Are The Champions - those retching sounds you hear? That is indeed retching. Also dry heaves and vomiting. 03. Another One Bites The Dust - one of the two instantly recognizable Queen songs to not lose it's sparkle after about two complete, repeated listen-throughs (the other is Bohemian Rhapsody). In fact, it's pretty catchy! It's kinda funk-inspired, but it's not off of Hot Space (thank God for that); it's actually off of The Game. 04. Killer Queen - it's a Noel Coward-ish (Freddie's words) song about a high-class whore. You'll absolutely loathe, hate, and be disgusted with it for the first few listen-throughs, but it eventually grows on you so much that you'll eventually appreciate it for the classic that it really is. 05. Somebody To Love - a Gospel-type track. In terms of growing on you, it's like Killer Queen, only not as bad at first and not quite as good in the end. 06. Fat Bottomed Girls 07. Bicycle Race - not as lame as it sounds. It's actually pretty good, with frequent transitions between 3/4 and 4/4 time (though I couldn't tell you which was which if I were held at gunpoint. A piano-type track. 08. You're My Best Friend - mostly electric piano-driven. A sweet little ballad from John Deacon to then girlfriend, now wife. A fan favorite. Not much else to say 09. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - you'll question aloud whether it's Elvis singing this rockabilly or Queen; nevertheless, you'll be bouncing around and singing along at the end, and isn't that the trademark of every Queen song? 10. Now I'm Here - a rocker that frequently switches between understated, fast-paced, mini-shreds to big, overblown, over-the-top riffs that almost becomes a parody of rocking. In other words, it rocks (but the production sucks). 11. Play The Game - starts out with a synthesizer intro obviously designed to put you in mind of shooting stars and becomes a light-hearted little piano ballad with a good guitar/synthesizer duet. A little too light-hearted for me. Otherwise, pretty good. 12. Seven Seas Of Rhye - it's about a fantasy world (I don't particularly like that kind of rock, that's what novels are for), but it's pretty good. It starts out with a fast-paced piano solo before turning into a good Queen rocker. 13. Body Language - not as bad as everyone says. Yes, the lyrics are repetitive, but the bass is good enough that you can forget that. As it stands, however, it's well below the standards of Queen songs such as Hammer to Fall, Fat Bottomed Girls, etc. 14. Save Me - at first, seems like a piano ballad, but then turns into a guitar-ballad that sounds a bit like a GN'R ballad on rhythm guitar. 15. Don't Stop Me Now - we will, We will totally blow your freakin' ass off with our energy. The most upbeat and happy song ever. It's piano again. 16. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy - a piano ballad, a bit blase, but we don't care, do we? 17. I Want To Break Free - an awesome intro that leads into a song that's a bit repetitive for a song that relies mostly on vocals (we get it, you frikkin' wanna break free, how many times, do you have to tell us). Alright, go ahead, now slag me 'cuz I said I Want To Break Free is more repetitive than Body Language, I don't care.

It definitely stands it's own against other Queen album, and that means it blows 99.5% of those other s--t pop and/or metal bands out of the water, but as far as Queen albums go, there's nothing that makes this a standout. However, Fat Bottomed Girls is Frakkin' hilarious, and AOBTD is catchy as always, however, I wish there were more fan favorites instead of just all the chart toppers. If I did lose it (never gonna happen, unless it's due to that unpredictable force known as mom) or get it stolen (by who? The 2 rednecks within a 1/4 mile of here? The old man and old lady next door? The cats? My brother?If it did get stolen, it would get stolen by the dog), I wouldn't waste my money buying another one, I'd just burn a new copy from the saved tracks on my PC, and download 'em to my iPod soon as I get one (with what allowance).