Greatest Hits I Review

artist: Queen date: 04/24/2012 category: compact discs
Queen: Greatest Hits I
Released: Sep 15, 1992
Label: Hollywood
Genres: Hard Rock, Album Rock, Glam Rock, Arena Rock, Pop/Rock, British Metal, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
The Greatest Hits LP had a superior selection, but it's gone now, so you're stuck with this.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.4
 9.3
 9.4
Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: heartbreaker101, on september 23, 2005

Sound: Queen really has a sound thats very distinct from any other band out there, Brian May especially has a very distinct and incredible tone, and you can really hear that on this album. It covers all there hits from their early years, from We Will Rock You right down to I Want To Break Free. It has some great rockin' tunes like Fat Bottomed Girls and Now I'm Here, and heartfelt love songs like Somebody to Love and Save Me. // 9

Lyrics: Freddie Mercury was truly a musical genious, with his great vocal range and his brilliant song writting. The songs range from love songs to mythology and everything in between. The lyrics worked perfectly with the music. All of the other members of Queen were great songwriters as well and you can really hear that in the variety of the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I've heard some of their other greatest hits albums and I would say that this is one of the better ones. Some of my favourites are; Fat Bottomed Girls, Save Me, Now I'm Here, Somebody To Love. Hell, the whole album is great. If it were lost or stolen I would definately buy it again. So if you're a huge Queen fan, or you just listen to them every once in a while, you should definately get this album. // 9

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: Scribbler, on november 14, 2005

Sound: How do you go about making a Greatest Hits album when the majority of the songs are hits? This is the problem Queen faced while producing this disc. With fan-favorites such as "We Will Rock You" to classics such as "I Want To Break Free," there is something in store for everybody and this is not being said loosely. Queen covered a multitude of genres. From soft to rocking, you'll find something you will cherish and love for a long time. Every single track is a party favorite. The only questionable is why "Bohemian Rhapsody" isn't present. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic as usual. Nothing too deep and nothing too shallow, just the right kind of tone. Some songs even contain humor (Fat Bottomed Girls). Some bands feature lyrics that don't go well with the song and sometimes, the whole lyrical flow is just lost. Not with Queen, everything blends together in a soothing manner. It's like each of these songs was meant to be. Freddie Mercury is a genius when it comes to tone. He has perfect harmony with every instrument on every single track. // 10

Overall Impression: You might say that this could be the best Christmas or Birthday present and you may be right. Whether a person has been listening to Queen since their first album or has never even heard of them, they will be sure to fall in love with them. Queen is the kind of band you have a hard time hating. Each song is different in every sense of the word and variety is the key to their success. // 10

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: matster, on november 30, 2005

Sound: Queen have a really great sounds to a lot of their songs and will not be any good for heavy metal fans because Queen are rarther quiet in a lot of their songs. The reason I love Queen is because of the sound Brian May makes on his guitar. Freddie Murcery's voice really goes with the music they play. Brian may can perform some stunning solos and the way they make the songs better is stunning. John Deacon did lovely sounds on the bass in 'Anoter One Bites The Dust' and in 'Under Pressure' (unfortunatly is not on greatest hits 1. And Roger Taylor plays the drums so well. Overall they really work together! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are thaught of well so they go with the song and Freddies voice really makes the song lyrics sound great. We will rock you is a great song with the lyrics it's got and we are the champions are both great songs because of the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall the lyrics and guitars and drums fused with Freddie Mercury's voice make a lovley sonun and great songs such as'Bohemion Rapsody' and 'We Will Rock You' all have great sounds and Lyrics. My overall impression is that it is great and can be given a 9/10. This would be a great ablum for soft rockers with a few loud moments and guitar solos. If my album was stolen I would go to a shop and get a brand new album. // 9

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: dalecruz, on january 04, 2007

Sound: Queen has been the most exciting and the most amazing rock 'n' roll bands during their time. They had fun making and playing their music. The very same as how their fans enjoy it. If you are a true believer of Queen, this Greatest Hits 1 and 2 is probably the most appropriate album Queen would want to share and leave you after the late great Freddie Mercury died. Everone who is a big fan, can tell how they captured and sealed the hearts of many people around the world. // 9

Lyrics: Queen's lyrics are not just lyrics telling the listeners this and that. They did have the most meaningful lyrics I've ever heard. Serious, funny, dazzling, hard and gay'ish even. Everyone can relate and even take the lyrics as an advice in their day to day living. Freddie Mercury has one hell of a voice. He could go from hard rock type like in We will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody to the sweetest and coolest of his voice in Love of My Life. // 10

Overall Impression: "Bohemian Rhapsody" is amazing. It has a little touch of almost everything. Rock, symphony type, choir type, love and even heavy metal. "Save Me" with it's very desperate lyrics talks about a relationship that started out so very fine but I believe ended to the same fate as many of us are experiencing. And that there is nothing more to do but to admit and beg for help. Actually, if will have to tell you the most impressive songs in these two albums. This page ain't going to be enough. This is why if nothing in this world is permanent and that Compact disc will somehow be obsulete in the far future. I would still buy this album over and over again. // 9

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: g 4 11, on january 11, 2007

Sound: The sound is great. When you are listning to number16(we will rock you), you will be suprised by how well the solo comeup. It is like he is singing and in the back ground you hear the man playing the guitar. He is playing soft that comes up to a ouder sound. There is not much story to the album but the reason why is because it is a greastest hits CD so it is a lot of different songs put on one CD. Some of the songs have a story with it. The first time I heard it, I thought some songs were stupid, but if you listen carefullyto the words and everything, you will love it. I love the CD now. the drumer is great to. The guitar player is my favoite. // 10

Lyrics: My overall impression for the lyrics for this CD I'd one word. Awesome! He can sing fast and slow and in my opinion, it has a great meaning to almost every song. some of the good songs are: We Will Rock You, We Are The Campions, Bicyle, Fat Bottom Girls, Bohemian Rhapsody, Anotherone Bits The Dust, and many many more. The lyrics in these songs are the best of all CDs. The singer skill was good back in the day but I think it still is the best of all time. My mom likes it to. // 9

Overall Impression: If this CD were stolen or lost I would with no dough go buy another. I don't think that is going to happen. It might get stolen but not lost. I don't hate anything about it but I love everything about it. The top three best songs in order are Fat Bottom Girls, We Will Rock You, and We Are The Campions. All the songs are almost the same though. It compares to jimmy to me because they are both good. Queen is the best though. // 10

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2007

Sound: This album really lives up to its name, it follows the charts pretty well. Despite this, it has a wide variety of sounds and yet retains that Queen sound of multi-vocal harmonies (which are strangely more prominent on the piano-driven tracks than on the guitar-driven tracks) and awesome riffs (for the guitar-driven tracks) and/or melodies (for the piano-driven songs). Strangely enough, the piano-driven tracks are more plentiful here than on their album art counterpart, classic Queen. But hey, this has got Fat Bottomed Girls, and who can complain with that? // 8

Lyrics: 01. We Will Rock You - average. Recognizable. A bit overrated. On the other hand, I never knew it had a (tiny) guitar solo at the end. Did you? 02. We Are The Champions - those retching sounds you hear? That is indeed retching. Also dry heaves and vomiting. 03. Another One Bites The Dust - one of the two instantly recognizable Queen songs to not lose it's sparkle after about two complete, repeated listen-throughs (the other is Bohemian Rhapsody). In fact, it's pretty catchy! It's kinda funk-inspired, but it's not off of Hot Space (thank God for that); it's actually off of The Game. 04. Killer Queen - it's a Noel Coward-ish (Freddie's words) song about a high-class whore. You'll absolutely loathe, hate, and be disgusted with it for the first few listen-throughs, but it eventually grows on you so much that you'll eventually appreciate it for the classic that it really is. 05. Somebody To Love - a Gospel-type track. In terms of growing on you, it's like Killer Queen, only not as bad at first and not quite as good in the end. 06. Fat Bottomed Girls 07. Bicycle Race - not as lame as it sounds. It's actually pretty good, with frequent transitions between 3/4 and 4/4 time (though I couldn't tell you which was which if I were held at gunpoint. A piano-type track. 08. You're My Best Friend - mostly electric piano-driven. A sweet little ballad from John Deacon to then girlfriend, now wife. A fan favorite. Not much else to say 09. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - you'll question aloud whether it's Elvis singing this rockabilly or Queen; nevertheless, you'll be bouncing around and singing along at the end, and isn't that the trademark of every Queen song? 10. Now I'm Here - a rocker that frequently switches between understated, fast-paced, mini-shreds to big, overblown, over-the-top riffs that almost becomes a parody of rocking. In other words, it rocks (but the production sucks). 11. Play The Game - starts out with a synthesizer intro obviously designed to put you in mind of shooting stars and becomes a light-hearted little piano ballad with a good guitar/synthesizer duet. A little too light-hearted for me. Otherwise, pretty good. 12. Seven Seas Of Rhye - it's about a fantasy world (I don't particularly like that kind of rock, that's what novels are for), but it's pretty good. It starts out with a fast-paced piano solo before turning into a good Queen rocker. 13. Body Language - not as bad as everyone says. Yes, the lyrics are repetitive, but the bass is good enough that you can forget that. As it stands, however, it's well below the standards of Queen songs such as Hammer to Fall, Fat Bottomed Girls, etc. 14. Save Me - at first, seems like a piano ballad, but then turns into a guitar-ballad that sounds a bit like a GN'R ballad on rhythm guitar. 15. Don't Stop Me Now - we will, We will totally blow your freakin' ass off with our energy. The most upbeat and happy song ever. It's piano again. 16. Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy - a piano ballad, a bit blase, but we don't care, do we? 17. I Want To Break Free - an awesome intro that leads into a song that's a bit repetitive for a song that relies mostly on vocals (we get it, you frikkin' wanna break free, how many times, do you have to tell us). Alright, go ahead, now slag me 'cuz I said I Want To Break Free is more repetitive than Body Language, I don't care. // 9

Overall Impression: It definitely stands it's own against other Queen album, and that means it blows 99.5% of those other s--t pop and/or metal bands out of the water, but as far as Queen albums go, there's nothing that makes this a standout. However, Fat Bottomed Girls is Frakkin' hilarious, and AOBTD is catchy as always, however, I wish there were more fan favorites instead of just all the chart toppers. If I did lose it (never gonna happen, unless it's due to that unpredictable force known as mom) or get it stolen (by who? The 2 rednecks within a 1/4 mile of here? The old man and old lady next door? The cats? My brother?If it did get stolen, it would get stolen by the dog), I wouldn't waste my money buying another one, I'd just burn a new copy from the saved tracks on my PC, and download 'em to my iPod soon as I get one (with what allowance). // 7

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: anniewoonie, on february 11, 2008

Sound: "Queen, Gratest Hits I" just the title of the album insures you great music. The albums starts out with their greatest song of all time "Bohemian Rhapsody". The variation of that song is increadable, and it really shows the composeing ability of the band. It's sound amazing and it sets the standar of the album. The variation are fabulous through the intire album. From opera similar stuff to pure Rock 'N Roll.The rythm section with John Deacon and Roger Taylor is catchy all the way. And Brian May's riffs aren't less cathier, some of the riffs are stuck in Rock history for ever, and May shows both great feeling and great pace at the guitar. And Freddie Mercury's piano play isn't bath either, in fact it's rather good, altough his range are little minus. But who bothers when the melodies and the sound is perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Freddie Mercury's lyrics is just outstanding. He is showing his feelings and emotions in every sentence. And it's undertandable for everybody. But he's also hiding the content, so you have to "read between the lines". It changes from very serious lyrics to lyrics with much humor and joy. The singing skills of Freddie Mercury has no word to describe how good he was. He never hits a note wrong, and he can sing in the fastest tempo without drawing for air. His voice suits to any genre in the world! Opera, glam, pop, metal, rock'n roll. Everything! The greatest rock and pop vocalist that has ever been! // 10

Overall Impression: You have greater expectations of a Gratest Hits album. But that is not a problem for a band like Queen, wich never has made a bad song. One word to describe this album. Perfect! The lyrics, variation, melody and vocals are just perfect. The instrumental is not the hardest to play, but it's perfect anyway, it's catchy and it is played with feeling and it suits Freddie perfect. // 10

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: atrumluminarium, on april 15, 2011

Sound: The awesomness of the CD leaves you speachless. I mean the songs are the best songs by Queen (the title says it all). It has some great guitar playing and the great choir like voices done by the whole band. There are a surprising riffs in the disc that you won't really expect from Queen. Like in "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "Now I'm Here" which are more heavy than you expect fron Queen. When talking about Queen, it's hard to not talk about the amazing solos done by Brian May with his Red Special and his Vox AC30. The best solos are (it was hard to pick the best 5): "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Killer Queen", "We Will Rock You", "Bicycle Race" and "Somebody To Love". These are all exceptional melodies. That's a 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are exceptional, But the lyrics that Freddie Mercury (god rest his soul) wrote, most of them are about one thing... LOVE! He writes like this in: -Bohemian Rhapsody -Don't Stop Me Now -Crazy Little Thing Called Love -Somebody To Love -Good Old-fasioned Lover Boy All of the above talk about love, but it doesn't matter, these songs are the classic tune of 70s-80s rock.The voices are awesome! The band manages to make the great lead by Freddie Mercury and the backing by the rest of the band. In "Somebody To Love" the band does a contrast effect by repeating the word "somebody" once in a high angelic voice (done by Brian May and Roger Taylor) and once in a deep tenor voice (Freddie Mercury and John Deacon). Speaking of the angelic voices, it's hard to miss the high-pitch screams in "Flash" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye" and the high notes in the outro of "Somebody To Love". That would be a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD was the first rock CD that I bought when I was 11 (I bought it that late because my dad has these old vinyl all from the 70s and I used to listen to them, I was practically raised in rock music) and it was a great investment in my allowance (#1 a week at the time) and I'm defenetly NOT sorry that I did it! This CD is all the fundamental base of the current rock, metal and pop artists. If you've never listened to Queen; do so! If you don't like Queen; you don't know real music! In one word: WOW! // 10

Greatest Hits I Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 24, 2012

Sound: Brilliant vocals, and awesome guitar from Brian May. Excellent drums and bass from Roger Taylor and John Deacon. Freddie was as legendary as ever. "Greatest Hits I" was also created as a trilogy pack album with "Greatest Hits II" and "III". Brilliant songs, like "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Killer Queen" and "We Will Rock You". My only complaint is some of the song choices - they don't fit in well like the songs in "Greatest Hits II" do. // 9

Lyrics: great lyrics, awesome compliance with the music. But some meanings were bad, not good earthed. I like "Delilah", "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" for their meanings. Freddie skills are so good I can't rate it. One of the best and most influential rock singers in history. // 7

Overall Impression: This may be bias, but "Greatest Hits I" is totally incomparable. Albums that are close to matching are The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club", GN'R's "Appetite For Destruction", Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" and The Stones' "Let It Bleed". The most impressive songs I would say are "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "We Will Rock You". The thing I love about it is all the awesome hits that were in it. There really is not much to hate, though. I got like double copies of this album, so I don't really worry about losing it. All in all, it's a great album. Highly recommended. // 10

Comments