Greatest Hits II Review

Queen: Greatest Hits II
Released: Oct 30, 1991
Label: EMI
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Album Rock, Glam Rock, Arena Rock, Pop/Rock, British Metal, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
This is an album no Queen fan should be without, if you are not familiar with these hits, take the risk and get this album.
 Lyrics: 8.7
Greatest Hits II Reviewed by: DownDark, on august 26, 2005

Sound: This album focuses on Queen's later work from the mid 80's to their final career days in the early 90's. The songs on this album were just as big as their earlier work which proves that Queen were a force to be reckoned with. Their trademark sound is still possible to find in some songs like "It's A Hard Life". Like Queen, almost every Rock N' Roll band in the 70's directed their sound to more of a Pop-Rock sound in the 80's and 90's. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are lacking but the great sound is all that really matters. Freddie Mercury is still an amazing singer, Brian May is still an amazing guitarist, and the rest are all still amazing. Songs like "I'm Going Slightly Mad" always seem to put a smile on my face with it's quirky lyrics and tongue-in-cheek vocals. Songs like "Who Wants To Live Forever" always seems to do the opposite, bringing a tear to the eye. Whatever the lyrics may be about, they always tell a story. // 8

Overall Impression: It did compare with "Greatest Hits I" and "Greatest Hits III" and almost every other Queen compilation. The most impressiv songs have to be "Under Pressure", "Innuendo", "Who Wants To Live Forever", and "The Show Must Go On". I love that each compilation like this focuses on a certain era of the band's sound. I hate that the track list couldn't have been arranged chronologically to view the band's state of change. If it were stolen/lost, I would buy something else because this CD came with an entire box set. It is worth buying but don't be confused with other compilation albums. Queen will always remain superstar hitmakers no matter what era we're in. // 8

Greatest Hits II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2006

Sound: I as born in the '90s but still my dad would listen to this all the time. I came to know this band and love their songs. We will rock you is pretty much their most famous song because the sound of it just catches you. Other songs like Bohmian Rhapsody are pretty good. I have to say this is one of my all time favorite bands to ever make a CD. Just about everyone has heard of them and some are missing out on the sound that these guys made. // 10

Lyrics: In their songs it's easy to catch the lyrics which is important to me. Bohemian Rhapsody is one example of how weird I think it is that they can hit the high notes like they can. If I tried that I'd think I'd shatter glass. Anyway it is great to hear these guys perform and some of the new bands coming out that claim to be good could take a page out of Queen's book. // 10

Overall Impression: Since I grew up with this band I just automatically started to enjoy them. Anybody who listens to them once will be caught by them. They're old now but still they rock just like their song says. // 10

Greatest Hits II Reviewed by: AdamDK, on july 23, 2008

Sound: This album has some of the most memorable Queen songs and riffs, ever. Growing up when I was young, this CD was rarely played by my parents, but when they did play it, I loved it. I was hooked on songs like 'I Want To Break Free', 'A King Of Magic' and 'Innuendo'. In comparison to other Queen albums, this album has most of their hits from latter years with Mercury, as opposed to their older records. The album has 17 tracks, and lasts for a total of 1 hour 15 minutes and 57 seconds. The style of the songs varies a little, but the majority of them are pop-rock songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, although catchy, are not quite as great as Queens older songs. While the theme of many songs is great, and Freddie Mercury's voice is amazing as always, the bare bone of the lyrics isn't quite good enough compared to older records. However, Mercury's voice makes up for this. The power and passion in his voice overpowers the parts of lyrics that are lacking. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to the other two Greatest Hits albums, I'd say this is the superior album. The album contains a lot more well known songs, and the quality of the songs is a lot better than some of Queens other material. Four songs impressed me a lot. They are: I Want To Break Free, Innuendo, Hammer To Fall and A Kind Of Magic. All these songs have fantastic musical structure, and amazing singing skills. I'd definitely reccommend this album to any Queen fan. // 9

Comments