Greatest Hits III review by Queen

• Released: Nov 9, 1999
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Queen: Greatest Hits III

Not bad sound. Some songs are a little bit questionable, but, as far as the sound goes, they can be overlooked. The sound get's somewhat boring in some songs, especially the collaborations. The re-mixes are a lot more exciting than the original, sound-wise, but the originals will always be better in my eyes. The drums and bass in Another One Bites The Dust sound terrible to me, compared to that of the original. The full Queen songs on this CD have bad sound, mainly because they had lost the magic of when they first arrived on the scene.

No-one can match Freddie's singing in my oppinion, and that means Elton John and George Michael too. They're both great singers, but they can't compare to the royal master of Rock N Roll singing, although they do manage to carry off the Queen songs in their own styles quite well. The lyrics themselves are good, but not as good as they were on the previous two Greatest Hits CDs. The best lyrics, for me, are probobly on The Great Pretender, and it saddens me to say that it wasn't even written by Freddie Mercury (ignoring this his version is a lot better than the original). In Another One Bites The Dust, the added lyrics sound pretty bad, and to me, are un-necessary.

It's not too bad, but it's not too good either. On here, there is some unrepeatable team-ups that will never happen again, such as The Show Must Go On with Elton John and Somebody To Love with George Michael, but, personally, they're not a match to the originals. There's also some nicely done re-mixes of Under Pressure and Another On Bites The Dust, but they just don't seem to appeal, somehow. The CD contains, as a 'bonus', songs from Freddie Mercury's solo career (The Great Pretender, Living on My Own) and one song from Brian May's solo career (Driven By You). It actually amazes me to say that there is some Queen songs on here, which contain every memeber of Queen, because every other songs is either from a solo career or due to a collaboration. Again, not a bad CD, but could have been a lot better.