Innuendo review by Queen

• Released: Feb 5, 1991
Queen: Innuendo

At this point, they were matured, and had perfected their sound. Queen reached their climax right at the end. I think Freddie's crisis brought on a new wisdom, that brought out the brilliance in the album Innuendo.

From the moment you hit play, it is clear that you are in for one hell of a musical ride. The opening track, 'Innuendo' itself, is the very best on the album. As Roger thunders out a drum roll, the song begins, and you are immediately somewhere else. 'Innuendo' is a six and a half minute long opus that carries you away from whatever it is you are concentrating on. I first heard it on the compilation 'Greatest Hits II' and I was so caught up in it that I completely missed the fact that the phone rang out three times. It more than deserved to go into the charts in January '91 at no.1. As the album continues on to track two, you can't help but smile at 'I'm Going Slightly Mad', Freddie's last ever single. It's something only he could write, with silly lyrics put to surprisingly serious music. As with 'Innuendo' before it, it just carries you away, and when you come back in time for track three, you'll be laughing. Track three is 'Headlong', a hard and heavy Brian May inspired rock track. In contrast to the synthesizer filled track that precedes it, 'Headlong' is all electric guitars and drums, and it's video clip was Queen's last performance clip. (Excluding 'No-one But You', which came out six years later) Finally, we get away from the singles with 'I Can't Live With You', a typically classic Queen song, sounding like something out of the 'News Of The World/Jazz' era, and the beautiful 'don't Try So Hard', which is one of Innuendo's finest songs. 'Ride The Wild Wind' is vaguely reminiscent of songs like 'Hammer To Fall' and 'Tie Your Mother Down', with loud guitars and a great drum line - not surprising as the main writer was drummer Roger Taylor. 'All Gods People', a Freddie Mercury/Mike Moran (not a member of Queen) collaboration, is a great track which sees Freddie appeal to humanity in the only way he knew how - through his music. Famous as the last video clip in which Freddie appeared is 'These Are The Days Of Our Lives', a beautiful song about reflecting on the past. Truly a peak of the album, it was on top of the charts for longer than all but one other single in 1992 (the other being Bryan Adams 'Everything I Do'), which is quite an effort. Delilah is poppy, and it's about Freddie's cat, so you can see a huge freddie influence in this one. It's great nevertheless. Hitman is heavy and powerful, a real stripped down rocker. Bijou is a slow, mellow song with brian's heavy guitar soloing for a few minutes. There is a short lyrical interlude of about 4 lines from freddy, and that makes the song a great one. Finally, the brilliant end to Queen. The Show Must Go On, in my opinion was the greatest farewell to a band I've ever heard. Yes, it's hard to say this but it topped the beatles the end. It was just so powerful, and with the go on... go on... go on... at the end, it shows a great and powerful fade to an amazing career. Real touching song, and great video of 80's queen clips.

All up, 'Innuendo' is the very best album by Queen through the '80s and '90s, and should always be remembered as the great, final curtain from Freddie, Brian, Roger and John. Even though 'Made In Heaven' came some years later, 'Innuendo' was the last album. 'Innuendo' was the very best album they'd done since 'A Night at The Opera'. Overall, this cd is pure genius, pure brilliance, and they should be most proud of this cd today. What are you waiting for? If you don't buy this what do you buy then?