Queen II review by Queen

• Released: Oct 22, 1991
Queen: Queen II

Progressive, glam, pop/rock - it's all here! Queen really packs a punch with their complex musical arrangements, vocal-harmonizing, and overall length of songs. I like how most of the albums segues through songs, which helps keep everything moving.

The lyrics in this album are great and tend to be about fantasy. I call that fantasy-rock. 01. Procession - a great instrumental piece to start off the album 3/5. 02. Father To Son - a lengthy song but is great nonetheless. Haunting but very beautiful at the same time 4/5. 03. White Queen (As It Began) - another haunting but beautiful song with lovely acoustic guitars and a wonderful solo. Great vocals too 4/5. 04. Some Day, One Day - a very nice ballad. Again, nice acoustic guitars and solos. With great vocals, this time, sung by Brian May 3/5. 05. The Loser In The End - a heavy rocker with vocals by drummer Roger Taylor. Amazing drum performances throughout the song. Though it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album, this song is great and really gives the album a touch of hard-rock. 06. Ogre Battle - if none of you knew this, the intro is the outro played backwards. A really great build-up. The song has a great riff done by Brian May and John Deacon with another amazing drum performance by Roger Taylor. My Favourite song on the album 4/5. 07. The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke - an unusual song. The song is really fun and is inspired by a painting by Richard Dadd of the same name. A wonderful song with great vocal performances by Freddie and the gang. Another highlight 4/5. 08. Nevermore - a short, touching ballad with wonderful piano and vocals. Beautiful song 4/5. 09. The March Of The Black Queen - progressive rock at it's best and is all thanks to Queen. This song mixes styles of music like folk, pop, rock, prog, and more. The vocals are dazzling and the musical arrangements are just mind-blowing! A true highlight 5/5. 10. Funny How Love Is - a fun love song! Again, doesn't really fit in with the rest of the album. This song is really nice and is good to listen to 3/5. 11. Seven Seas Of Rhye - Queen's first big hit and is another favourite off the album. Great piano intro with great vocals. Another highligh 5/5. The lyrics always match the style of the music ("The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke"). Freddie Mercury cannot be underestimated with his amazing voice.

It did compare to other Queen albums like "A Night At The Opera" because it is one of Queen's strongest and darkest of the '70s, and possibly of their entire catalogue. The most impressive songs from the album have to be "Ogre Battle," "The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke" and "The March Of The Black Queen." I love that they used the concept of black and white in the songs "White Queen" and "The March Of The Black Queen." They also used the concept on the vinyl record; Instead of using Side A/Side B, they used Side White/Side Black. Interesting concept. If it were stolen/lost I would surely buy another copy or stick with my vinyl record. It is definatly worth buying! It is one of my favourite CDs! This album is my all time favourite album. This also happens to be Smashing Pumpkins frontmen Billy Corgan's favourite album.

Quark113
    russiandawg
    Quark113 wrote: If "Seven Seas of Rhye" is Heavy Metal, I have no f--kin' clue what GN'R and Nickelback are...not that I actually listen to Nickelback...
    I think that he was talking about for that time.
    Quark113
    Wasn't Zeppelin out around then? Granted, Led Zeps I and II weren't that good, at least the songs that I've heard.