Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid [DVD] review by Queen

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Queen: Queen Rock Montreal & Live Aid [DVD]

This DVD documents a concert from The Forum, in Montreal Canada. It was a period when Queen peaked in it's popularity in North America, and they were without question at the top of their game, & had no peer to contend with them in the Arena Rock scene. It is Queen Productions' first venture into a Blu-Ray Release, and they went through a very extensive process to get the film; as well as restore the negative, and remaster the audio in DTS 5.1 Surround Sound. Most fans will recognize the look ans setlist from an older release entitled 'QUEEN - We Will Rock You' But take my word for it, this DVD is well worth the money. Not only is the concert fully restored, but there's commentary (Brian May & Roger Taylor), a segment from music T.V. programme (Early 80's), the famous Live Aid footage where they stole the show at Wembley Stadium, as well as Live Aid rehearsal footage and an interview segment (BBC? ) predating the concert. Queen Rock Montreal was one of the first full-length rock concerts shot with 35mm film. Mobilevision, and the director had legal disputes with Queen over the rights & royalties to the film... they wanted the footage, but it would only be sacrificed at a lucrative amount. So eventually after tensions cooled and the opposing party "shuffled off," Queen Productions acquired the original films and the rights to it and planned a re-release... and it was a well thought out ohe too...

Content — 10
Here is a repeat of the content found on the DVD. - 25 Songs Filmed on November 24 & 25, 1981 in Montreal Canada at the Forum (A little trivia for you Queen fans some of this stuff has been shot 10 years to the day before Freddie's death. Creepy.) Tracklisting: 01. We Will Rock You (fast) (May) 02. Let Me Entertain You (Mercury) 03. Play the Game (Mercury) 04. Somebody to Love (Mercury) 05. Killer Queen (Mercury) 06. I'm in Love With My Car (Taylor) 07. Get Down, Make Love (Mercury) 08. Save Me (May) 09. Now I'm Here (May) 10. Dragon Attack (May) 11. Now I'm Here (reprise) (May) 12. Love of My Life (Mercury) 13. Under Pressure (Queen/Bowie) 14. Keep Yourself Alive (with impromptu jam before the song) (May) 15. Drum Solo/Tympani Solo (Queen/Taylor) 16. Guitar Solo/Guitar and Drum Duel (May) 17. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Mercury) 18. Jailhouse Rock (Lieber, Stoller) 19. Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury) 20. Tie Your Mother Down (May) 21. Another One Bites the Dust (Deacon) 22. Sheer Heart Attack (Taylor) 23. We Will Rock You (May) 24. We Are the Champions (Mercury) 25. God Save the Queen (tape) (arr. May) - The full Queen set from the famous LIVE AID Concert @ Wembley Stadium in 1985. Tracklisting: 01. Bohemian Rhapsody (Mercury) 02. Radio Ga Ga (Taylor) 03. Hammer To Fall (May) 04. Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Mercury) 05. We Will Rock You (May) 06. We Are The Champions (Mercury) 07. Is This The World We Created (May, Mercury) - Interview Segment from American Music Program (1982? ) -(BBC? ) Footage of Live Aid Rehearsal followed by interview w/ the band. Any Queen fan, Hell... any Rock fan would appreciate owning this tiny piece of rock history. If I could sum up the content of this DVD... I would call this: A piece of rock history that shows Queen in it's 'Arena Rock' prime, and also the moment where they stole the show and conquered 'Stadium Rock.' As I said before... this is history.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality of this DVD is superior... which is something that one comes to expect out of those that are familiar with Queen's releases. They went so far as to hire a guy to create a process so that they could digitally restore the film so they could release in true Blu-Ray HD (Whatever you call it), that was a very extensive project... as well as the hours spent at the console re-mixing and remastering everything, to give it the life and punch it was denied in it's previous incarnation. Out of all their other live DVD's... I'd venture to say that they took the most care and time into this project, and it shows.

This DVD clearly shows that Queen clearly made their own unique place in the rock world. They stand alone and have no peer to what they've accomplished and contributed. Just like The Stones, The Beatles, Hendrix, Clapton, you name them. The most impressive thing about this DVD is that it's rock history captured on film. Frankly it's haunting and kinda creepy that some of the songs in the main concert were shot exactly 10 years before he died. The only think I don't like about this is that, apart from the extra goodies... this isn't anything I haven't seen before. I already owned the Montreal concert, even though in comparison the quality of the old version sucks ass to this new version. And I also don't really like that the Live Aid stuff was never remastered or anything... if it was truly digitally restored, Bob Geldof's boys must've done it because it's not the same technology as used on the Montreal concert. This will forever be a part of my collection... I gave the old version of the concert away. And now the new is in it's place.

b-rock34
    Dude, Queen were AMAZING at Live Aid! They absolutely stole the show. Keep in mind this was a concert where Led Zeppelin reunited. The build-up and anticipation for Led Zep was the story, but the performance was a little sloppy (don't flame...they are my favorite band of all time - them and The Floyd). But, Queen's performance was magical!
    Rakatung
    Queen became too pop-ish in the 80'es i think, not even Live Aid seems to be able to top the old concerts from the 70'es
    TwistedLogic
    Dude, I live in Montreal and you obviously have no idea how strong the relationship between the city and Queen was. The band, like many other prog rock/hard rock bands, were embraced by the city during their infancy and the band in recipricated by putting on fantastic performances when the came to play here. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the montreal crowds reaction to the bands performance. Queen rocks and the fans in Montreal know a class act when they see it.
    shreducator
    Both of the concerts on this disc are amazing! The version of Somebody to Love from the Montreal show is one of my all time favorite Queen performances.