The Works review by Queen

• Released: Feb 27, 1984
Queen: The Works

After dissapointing Hot Space and Flash Gordon albums, Queen produced classic '80s sound and very much queen pop with The Works album. "Radio Ga Ga", the opening song, hit number one in 17 different countries and was a concert favorite. Couple of Brian May standard rockers are ofcourse included with the political "Hammer To Fall" and party time "Tear It Up". Typical Queen ballad included of course with "It's A Hard Life" and a very sentimental May/Mercury written "Is this the world we created?" The classic off this album is without a doubt "I Want To Break Free." '80s rock music never sounded better without Queen and The Works.

The lyrics are great along with the music. The song written about poverty in most European contries called "Is This The World We Created?" is an absolutely great tear-jerker song and a great ending to such a powerful song. The hits on this album such as "Hammer To Fall" and "I Want To Break Free" may sound different because the versions on "Greatest Hits II" are the edited versions and in my opinion aren't the best versions. I suggest you listen to the entire album more than once because when I listened to the clips I thought I wouldn't like it. Well I listened to it all more than once and I was wrong!

The Works is, without a doubt, one of the best works of Queen ever recorded. Highly recommended to all people who like good rock music. Influential Queen at their very best in the '80s!