The Cosmos Rocks review by Queen + Paul Rodgers

• Released: Oct 28, 2008
Queen + Paul Rodgers: The Cosmos Rocks

This is Queen's first studio album with new singer Paul Rodgers and is quite different from other Queen albums. The first thing you notice about this album is that it is heavier and bluseyer (made up word) than other Queen records which can be attributed to Paul Rodgers' singing style. He does not try to copy Freddie but instead sings how he does, which works very well with the rest of Queen albeit only two members- there was no bass player on the album, Brian May played most of it and I think Paul did some too, the lack of bass player is noticeable because John Deacon bass lines were very prominent and catchy but there is none of that on this album. The opening track, 'Cosmos Rockin'' is a rock and roll, upbeat and lively song and some of the other songs are similar to this. You will not find the Queen of old on this, there almost no operatic backing vocals and many more hard riffs such as 'C-lebrity'. Most of the tracks are rather plain and forgettable and there are no tracks that will really stay around as classic Queen such as 'Bohemian Rhapsody' 'We Will Rock' etc. But then again this is not the old Queen. The standout tracks for me are 'Cosmos Rockin'', 'Small', 'C-lebrity' and 'Say it's not true. Overall the songs are pretty average with nothing particularly special.

The lyrics are full of Cliches: 'Rock and Roll will never die' and schools out' etc and most of the lyrics aren't great but Paul Rodgers sings them well so they can become quite strong with his voice combined with Brian's riffs. The lyrics are often fairly catchy though but they are not catchy enough for Queen. Paul Rodgers is no Freddie Mercury so he doesn't try to be and brings his own unique style to the band, which works well. It is much more of a rockier album than old Queen mainly because of the changes to suit Paul's voice. He sings with passion too and from the footage of seen of him live he has good stage presence so I think he is quite a good match for Queen. In 'Say It's not true' the whole band sing which works very well and contrasts with the rest of the album but is one of my favourite tracks because of the singing. I rate the lyrics 8 for good delivery and voice but not higher because of the cheesiness.

This is defiantly not a Queen album but a Queen+Paul Rodgers album- there is nothing like 'Bicycle Race' or 'Radio GaGa' but more along the lines of 'Fat Bottomed Girls and 'Tie Your Mother Down' which luckily two of my favourite Queen songs. I really like the rhythm of 'Cosmos Rockin''- it really gets your foot tapping and I love the riff of 'C-lebrity'. It is a blend of Paul Rodgers' bands (Free, Bad Company etc) and Queen. I really like some of the artwork on this album, it is all stars and planets and space- which could be down to Brian May's interest in Astronomy, which could also be where the name of the album came from. The only thing I really dislike is the lack of really memorable songs and more just 'nothing' tracks but that said I feel Paul Rodgers could be right for Queen. If it was stolen or lost I would not buy it again because I have it saved on iTunes and because I know all the good songs anyway. Overall I would say the album is good but not great.

Lil Macker
    Paul Rodgers, I think, is really underrated. I mean, he has a brilliant voice, better than Robert Plant by a long shot. I think anyways. I mean, I prefer Paul to Freddie, but I guess it's preference. Oh well. Even though I'm not too keen of Queen, I might just buy it cause I love Rodgers' voice.
    Gunpowder
    I think giving this album a rating of 7 is being far too kind, to be honest. It's a bit of a mess in my opinion, and calling it a Queen album is straight folly.
    silentelegance
    Some of the songs seem to young for them... (mostly the schools out one and C-Lebrity is kinda stupid for them.) Warboys is probably their best song... some stuff is good. =)
    Luigi@121
    Cut the crap about Freddie. It's not about who's singing the Queen songs, but it's about the songs themselves. It's the celebration of the many great Queen songs that have stood the test of time. And the new album is another new chapter in Queen history
    Luigi@121
    dandoosh101
    Queens greatest problem here is that they had arguably the greatest rock vocalist of all time ...anything rogers does (regardless of how different it sounds) is gonna be compared to freddie .. the album is decent but its just not what old school fans will want ..most of them anyways
    live2rock
    Have to clarify one thing, they have called it Queen and Paul Rodgers, NOT just Queen. Brian May has never ever said that Rodgers was a direct replacement for Freddie. They met at some fender anniversary/awards show and they had an idea about recording or touring and the how ball started rolling from there. I do agree with some comments in the sense that it aint the same without Freddie but the same can be said for not having John Deacon there.Lets not forget that John was as much an influence on the music and the band as all the others were.I mean facts are facts and each of the original members of Queen wrote a number one hit for the band.Not too many other bands can boast that!! Simply it dont sound like Queen of old because its Queen and Paul Rodgers. Just my 2 cents!!
    lopezmetalmunky
    Well, I have to give it to Rodgers, he is trying the best he can I think to fill Freddie's shoes. The vocals of Freddie Mercury are so distinct, so well loved and adored, that it is so hard to be reproduced.
    SoftParade1967
    My buddy showed me a few songs off this some of its alright. I love Queen don't get me wrong there my favorite band. But its not Queen withouot Freddie or John. The songs he showed me were alright but still... Its not Queen. Freddie and Johns shoes are HUGE shoes to fill. There irriplacable. Its still cool the Brain and Rodger are putting out music though.
    drummerdawg77
    no matter what, everyone will think of this album as somewhat bad because it will always be compared to Queen (with Mercury), which are incredibly big shoes to fill. and if they changed the name, it wouldnt make sense that a new band is playing a bunch of Queen covers. they probably kept the name just so they can play all the old songs with Rodgers, which imo is a great choice. too bad the new album inevitably took away a bit from the Queen "legacy"
    DrakeBellRocks
    Yeah, people say this album doesn't sound as good as some of the old records. I disagree completely. This album was written for their new tour hence the tour name 'the cosmos rocks' and the album name 'the cosmos rocks'. I have been a queen fan for as long as i can remember and with everybody else i know listening to crappy dance music, one rubbish queen album could change my tastes. But i still hate dance music and this queen album still sounds awesome. If you have heard it live- which is what it was intended for- then you will know(or should know) that the band are still as brilliant and as talented as they ever were. If you think you could do better, keep believing that this album is no good. I would like to see someone else who can write and play music as well as them.
    rick727
    i can apprieciate the collaboration and paul does have an amazing voice but i think they should change thier name.
    HolyWars90
    davesalis wrote: I think this album is the direction Queen would of gone if Freddie and John had left Brian and Rodger to the song writing. It's not a bad album, it's just different to what us Queen fans are use to, would of been better with john on bass. We should be thankful they have used someone like Paul Rodgers, if they had gone for a singer more like Freddie it would have been a huge disaster.
    Agreed. I've been a hordcore Queen fan my whole life, so the stuff with Paul will probably take some getting used to, but it's still a collaboration of legendary musicians, and Paul has a great voice. I'm glad they didn't try to replicate Freddie, because yes, that would have been a disaster and there would probably be much outrage.
    davey1272250
    Yoorai
    of course that the Queen without Freddie is not Queen. thats why its Queen + Paul Rodgers
    TheOmaga
    It's never going to be the same as it was with Freddie, however I think you got to give them it for making a go at it as there's always someone going "its nothing without Freddie" or something like that, which is always going to make peoples opinions on queen bias. Queen would never have been the same with out any of the members though and at least there still trying to make music to entertain not just live off all the royalties, there true musicians for doing that alone.
    Gammas1
    Yeah, trying to replace freddy would have been a bad idea. I like it the way it is though.
    Rock'n'Roller
    I think it's slightly basic compared to most Queen albums and it's to straight forward or commercial. C-lebrity is quite good but still. Oh and I'd recommend seeing them live, they're still really good.
    davesalis
    Hungry_Hameds
    masteryan wrote: queen = worst band. jesus fek
    Well for a start that's wrong, and that's not just my opinion it is FACT. I think the way they did it with an established artist showed they werent trying to replace freddie. even so the record suffers because it will always be compared to classic Queen. Shame, but it does have its moments. they should have whacked Stone Cold Crazy on there for old times sake!!
    mattiwillohouse
    davey1272250 wrote: I know its not REALLY Queen, but frankly i think Brian & Roger are ruining their legacy - the pressure would be off if they just used a different fkin name! They could jam with Paul to their hearts content and i reckon thats all this album is, well recorded jamming.
    I agree with that, they are ruining what Queen were by taking them in this direction, with a whole new frontman, no less. Queen are responsible for some of the greats, so these guys should have a different name..
    CapnKickass
    I thought they were calling themselves Queen II now.. I think a might have heard that on the radio but I forget.
    Mikeyw1233
    I went to see them live and they are still extremely good, they may not be as good as they were with Freddie but Paul is still a good singer.
    outlawtorn003
    tom_martin_123 wrote: Queen just isn't the same without Freddie, he is irreplaceable.
    I agree no Freddie = no Queen.
    dandoosh101
    Luigi@121 : Cut the crap people. I know it's not Freddie, but it's not about who's singing the songs, but it's about the songs themselves. It's about the celebration of Queen's great songs that have stood the test of time. And the new album is just another chapter in the history of Queen.
    i agree 100% but I guess we all just miss Freddie