Era Vulgaris review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Jun 12, 2007
Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris

The sound on this CD is very raunchy. The guitars are very cruntchy. The bass is nice and thick, just the way you want. The drums, well, I'm at a weird angle with the drums because in some songs the drume are killer (Turnin' on the Screw), and in others their so simple it sounded like a 13 year old just banged out the same beat for a whole song, (Sick, Sick, Sick). But even when the drums are simple they still sound nice and good so I can look past that. Thier is also a nice electric under tone to the album which was something the Queens were never known for doin so it's nice to see a band that can change up thier sound but still keep the elements that define them and still make it sound awesome.

The lyrics are amazing. Josh has had his own writing stlye and he maintains it so if you didn't like his lyrics on the other cds, you want be a big fan of this one either. The man dose has a way with words. In the musical era of Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic at The Disco, and all that emo crap, it gives me hope to see a band who steer clear of that whiney my g/f left me stuff. But even when the song topic is of girls (Make It Wit Chu) it's all about the wonderful joys of sex. South Of the belt buckle if ya know what I mean. But at the end of the day, this band can hold thier own in the lyrics department.

Well if you haven't already guessed I love this cd. I have Rated R, Songs For The Deaf, and all the others. And like almost all thier cds this one has it's own personal sound which I love. The most impressive songs on the album would have to be Make It Wit Chu, Into The Hollow, Turnin' On the Screw, I'm Designer, and Sick, Sick, Sick (love that post chorus riff). If it were stolen I would buy two copies just to make sure I was prepared for next time But if you a little tired of the whole emo/pop/scremo and would like to try something a little bit more deeper, a little bit more sexy, and a little bit more better, then I would highly suggest picking this one up. You want be dissapointed!

Saraph
    Travis^Co wrote: I think Queens are in their come down period...Their self titled album started off at the bottom. Rated R was climbing high, Songs for the Deaf peaked, Lullabies was starting to come down and Era Vulgaris is slightly better than the self titled album but not on par with any other cd they have made. I love QOTSA to death but I think they are past their peek. It doesn't mean they shouldn't stop making albums because they're still better than most bands out there at the moment but I don't think we'll see an album as good as Songs for the Deaf again.
    You seriously think that their self titled was "at the bottom"? Also, SFTD is great but I think that Lullabies doesn't get the credit it deserves, mainly because it is so mellow and polished comparatively. However, contrary to what many people think, it is how Josh wanted it to be, and considering that the title of the album is taken from a line in the softest song on SFTD (Mosquito Song), I expected it to be on the soft side. As for Era Vulgaris, I think it's an outstanding album. Everything has an edge about it that sets it apart from all of the former Queens albums. The opener is fantastic and the drums are dirty and drive most of the songs. To say that this is their comedown period is an incredible overstatement, in my opinion.
    sum41freak8733
    alright im gonna need some help on this , im an ok qotsa fan i guess you could say i only own lullabies and heard songs for the deaf's few good ones , but ive NEVER bought a cd for hearing only one song , but with the reviews im skeptical , ive only heard sick , sick ,sick ,and 3s and 7s , but guys , what do you think , should i waste money on this one or not ?
    GnikNus
    i'm designer isn't in spanish, not sure what version son of kyuss is listening too, haha. anyways, one of my favorite cds of all time, qotsa just keeps getting better
    Jau_Peacecraft
    This is actually my first QOTSA album, and honestly... on the first listen, i almost stopped chucked the cd during the first 3 songs. But by the 2nd listen, holy ****ing shit... This album is brilliance, especially "3's & 7's", as well as "Sick, Sick, Sick", "Suture Up Your Future", and "Into The Hollow". This is by far the most obscure, non-mainstream sounding album from what I thought was a mainstream band; the album almost feels like one huge jam session. I'm glad the "No One Knows" song was the foreshadow I was hoping it would be; I was originally gonna for the album that was on, but when I saw the cd cover for Era Vulgaris I thought it looked much more interested. All in all, I'm looking forward to these guys future work, well played QOTSA.
    CSoup369
    Amazing album, completely worth the money. There's nothing bad about it
    stumaster18
    wow this album blows chunks compared to their other ones. Make It Wit Chu is the worst song I have ever heard.