Lullabies to Paralyze review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Mar 23, 2005
Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

After Song's For The Deaf, I had high expectations for this album. Those expectations were met immediatly upon listening. Every song is great and there is an amazing atmosphere that is created from the first song and lasts until the end. The album is for the most part darker than the band's previous efforts and the credit there is due to Josh Homme. His guitar riffs soar throughout the entire album, carrying his melodies beautifully. The sound is much more complex than anything they've done in the past, ranging from bluesy hard-rock ("Burn The Witch" and "You've Got A Killer Scene There, Man...") to soft melodic pieces ("The Long Slow Goodbye" and "I Never Came"). All of which are pulled off exceptionally well.

Josh Homme's lyrics have always been very dark and they certainly make you think. This album is no exception. His vocals create the perfect mood along with the lyrics which is a high point on this album. Perhaps the most impressive talent of Homme's is his unique ability to create amazingly creative and gripping melodies simple chord progressions.

Overall I believe this to be the bands most innovative and exciting album. Of course I would recommend anything by this group, but Lullabies To Paralyze takes it a step further. My favorite songs would have to be "Tangled Up In Plaid" (remminiscent of "No One Knows", yet unique) and "You've Got A Killer Scene There, Man..." (one of the best lead guitar parts I've heard in years), although every song deserves credit. Buy this album and you won't regret it.