Lullabies to Paralyze review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Mar 23, 2005
Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

This CD contains that classic Queens Of The Stone Age sound but with a few changes. The drumming and bass I find more dull, what with the new band members I think, but are still solid in this album (there are still many bass fills and drum rolls might I say). The guitar and vocals are still unchanged, still the same distortions, the same whispering back-up vocals that add to that classic Queens Of The Stone Age sound that I've enjoyed in the past. The solo for the track "Little Sister" is very cool, and has a very unique sound to it.

The lyrics are pretty good. They add to the theme of "Lullaby" in many songs. In some songs, they are good but I find them to be somewhat repetitive. Still, the lyrics are usefull in setting the atmosphere of the CD, and the ones that don't are still pretty cool, The music often adds to this aswell, creating a good mix of music and vocals. Yet, the main vocals are somewhat not loud enough compared to the band (Joshua Homme does have a great voice, they could have turned up the volume a little when recording him).

Queens Of The Stone Age made this album with the obvious theme of a scary lullaby with songs titled "Burn The Witch" and "Someone's In The Wolf" (my personal favorites), not to mention the first track "This Lullaby" which I don't really like (it sounds like a lullaby), but greatly adds to the main theme of the CD. The CD is great played from start to end. I don't skip any songs. With creepy sounds and whispers added, the songs are definitely Lullabies To Parralyze!