Lullabies to Paralyze review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Mar 23, 2005
Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

The standout songs are normal Queens fare, but this is a long album, so there are a few very different songs. Josh Homme is a good guitarist and singer, but the band still arent quite the same without Nick, although the new bass player is just as good, there isnt the same danger to QOTSA without him, but this album is sounding raw, and great.

I love these lyrics, a lot are darker than previous efforts, like the music actually.

This Lullaby (3/10), acoustic opener, with an irritating guitar, and an annoying singer trying to make something folk and country-like. Pretty damn bad, until you hear those drum sticks opening Medication (8), catchy Go With The Flow-like feel, which reassures you after the 1st track that this is still a QOTSA album. Everybody Knows Your Insane (10) is a song that has a very epic feel to it. Similar to Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun until the chorus, which is classic Queens, it sounds like it should have Dave Grohl behind that kit, which is certainly a good thing. This album isnt brilliantly produced but the raw sound of it compliments Joshes guitar playing, which in turn helps Tangled Up In Plaid (8) fuse itself into your head, that song is also stupidly catchy, with a simple-but-infectious guitar, and hop-along drum beat. I had heard from friends what the best songs are, and Burn The Witch (10) was one of them on almost everyones list, and they were right. I love the lyrics too, quite a progression from Feel Good Hit Of The Summer I must say myself. The next song I think should win a competition for "best named song ever," because In My Head (10) goes exactly where it says on the tin. Homme's voice in the verse sounds spooky, and if you listen to it too loud, it gives you a headache, listen to it yourself and you'll see what I mean, but it is brilliant. First single Little Sister (10) blows EKTYI, BTW, TUIP and IMH out of your head immediately, and threatens to take up immediate residence, this song is the best Queens song since No One Knows. I Never Came (9) is the wrong song to follow up to a masterpiece like Little Sister, because really, no Queens song is a good song to follow up to Little Sister. Putting it last would have helped. But I Never Came is a good song, simple but effective, the chorus and verse show how good QOTSA are at varying from their following, and still making brilliant songs. Someones In The Wolf (7) is longer than In My Head and Little Sister put together, and it is here that this album begins to lose your attention a bit, your just hoping for something to spark off again, The Blood Is Love (7) is no different, although it is a bit more lively than.. The Wolf, it just needs something like the chorus of Everybody Knows Your Insane, or the fast break in No One Knows. The song freezes for a milli-second and comes back with something that promises a bit more, but it still doesnt re-kinder the kind of brilliance the earlier parts of the album had. Skin On Skin (8) is an improvement on the last two songs, but still isnt what your waiting for. Josh's voice is really annoying in this song, and the guitar doesnt sound top-class either, but this is still better than SITW and TBIL because it is just written better. Will it ever spark off again? Yes! Broken Box (9) is sweet relief from the past 3 songs, it doesn't pack as much punch as Go With The Flow, but it definitely gets you back into the album. "You Got A Killer Scence There, Man" (5), god, who mixed this thing? Putting all the exciting songs at the beginning was stupid. This song is boring, it doesn't even have a scene, let alone a killer one. Long Slow Goodbye (9)? Jesus! Don't call a song that on an album like this! When I looked at the back to see what this song was called, I was extremely tempted to press the skip button, but it sounded quite lively, so I thought I might have a listen. The end of it goes on for too long, and there is a hidden track, which is just some random orchesta playing something which sounds like you should be watching Pirates Of The Carribean or something. The two bonus tracks, Like A Drug (7) and Precious And Grace (10) are quite different. Like A Drug follows the same boring path of most of the album, and Precious And Grace is just great. It doesnt have Josh singing, which is a good thing for this particular song, cause his voice wouldnt go with it I don't think. It has a particularly catchy solo as well. Overall, there are only two genuinely bad songs (This Lullaby and "You've Got A Killer Scene There, Man"), where as the rest are either things of pure brilliance or average, dark and remotely catchy songs, which are ultimately fillers, although enjoyable fillers. If I were whoever mixed this, then I would cut out some songs, becuase it is a long album. That would make a 10 out of 10 album, but this is way more boring than this, so I think it gets an 8 from me.