Lullabies to Paralyze review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Mar 23, 2005
Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

With the departure of Bassist Nick Oliveri, and legendary drummer David Grohl, killer guitarist Dean Ween. I was not expecting this album to be as raw and loud as Songs for the Deaf, and, I was right. The new queens of the stone age is a softer mellower band. No more crazy mexican radio show outros or crazy onstage personas. What I wasn't expecting was, for this album to actually be amazing. There sound has matured into something they were looking for way back on R. They know how to make a 7 minute epic song, and the pulsing short song. This is a experimental sound. It's rough, and at times, incredibly repetitive, but it is a new sound.

Josh Homme is the only thing apparently present on this album, that was a part of the old Queens of the stone age. His voice is awesome. And it fits the music. Something most current rock vocalists can't seem to do is blend a voice into the music. Most people will complain they can't understand his voice on the album, and at times I can agree with them, but that's part of the band. Josh's voice blends into the sonic template that he has set in front of them.

I could review each song individually, but what struck me, is there is no apparent single on this album. It flows as a unit. The worst song on the album however, is "Little Sister", the single. It sounds like a I'll faded attempt to replicate the success of No One Knows. And it doesn't fit with the general sound of the album. This is Not the greatest release from the boys, but who was actually expecting it to be better than songs for the deaf? It is a different sound. It take a few listens to appreciate the finer things on the album. Josh Homme knows how to craft a song, and now he is free to experiment with his music. The way I see it, they could basically do anything with their music after this. Heck, they could make a Kyuss-eque record, and it would be amazing. Queens of the stone age is one of the greatestet modern progressive rock bands out there, and I cannot wat to hear what they can come up with next.

wiggo17
    this is my favourite queens cd... i love it from start to finish they hit the nail on the head with this one