Lullabies to Paralyze review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Mar 23, 2005
Queens of the Stone Age: Lullabies to Paralyze

The music in this is superb. It is symptomatic of Josh Homme's inate ability to create a really good guitar riff, good timings and riffs. The album opens up with a nice acoustic number, to me personally remeniscent of Tom Waits, with Homme displaying a versetality I have not hithero experienced. The album speeds up from there, with "Medication", a fast paced typical QOTSA song, with typical trippy guitar that can makes the head bang and the feet stomp. The album then takes an awesome twist, starting with the song "Everybody Knows That You Are Insane", an insanely trippy number, that starts slowly, with bendy, crazy guitar, before climaxing at the chorus with a catchy, headbanging hook. Typical QOTSA. They then go into their hit; "Burn The Witch". This is so symptomatic of Homme's style of writing songs; a catchy, well thought out riff. "Tangled Up In Plaid" is more of the same, very catchy and equally as trippy as the rest. A very good album, with the brilliant bonus tracks a cherry on the veritable sundae that is Lullabies To Paralyze.

Josh Homme is a versatile, brilliant singer, as he has always proved. His lyrics always do avoid the very typical cliches that bands like Aiden seem intent on wearing out. But if I have one complaint, it is that the lyrics never seem particularly soulful. He hits the right notes, but I never get the impression he is passionate about what he is saying, however apart from that, Homme puts in an excellent vocal performance.

I love this album, because it is timeless. With a band like Gallows, there is a time you are not in the mood to listen to it. Such as, a social event. But stick this album on in the car, in your room, at a social event, to your parents, anywhere, it will surelyhit the spot. It is very trippy, but not in the sixties styles of Hendrix or Gong. Homme has created a new style of stoner rock, in QOTSA and Kyuss and he showcases it fantastically.

areese82
    It's like QOTSA can't make a bad album. Although I do like Era Vulgaris better.