Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
Queens of the Stone Age: Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD]

The sound on this album shows just how full of a sound the new line up has. On their self titled debut in 1998 and with 2000's "Rate R" there seems to be no bottom to the music. They didn't reach their full sound until 2002's "Songs For The Deaf." However Queens Of The Stone Age has changed alot. Its gone to being Josh Homme as the only remaining original member of Queens. Now it is Josh Homme, Alain Johannes, Troy Van Luewan, Joey Castillo, and Natasha Schneider. And this is the way that Queens should have been all along. They revamp garage rock songs like "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" and "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret" into walls of sound and harmonies. The guitars are such a cool sound. Its like a beautiful rose found in the dumpster. It's ugly but so beautiful and catchy.

Content — 9
The content on this DVD is great. It was recorded in London at the Brixton Academy. It has 20 songs on it spanning their entire career. "Over The Years" is a live greatest hits album. It has a great ballance of all songs from their debut to their new one "Lullabies To Paralyze." They even put the B-Side "The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died" in the middle for a surpise. They could've had more songs on it though just because they edited some songs out to cut the length. I think that hardcore fans would've liked it though. What's the difference between an 1:45 and 2:10? Oh well still it's a good choice of songs.

Production Quality — 9
The productions quality is great. The picture is really great. And they filmed another concert too where the cameras are more blury in their color to add to the whole stoner feel. However the main stage scenes look more like a movie/concert. It really makes it more easy to sit down and watch all the way through.

This is one of the best DVD/CD sets I've ever bought. I'm addicted to this DVD I watch it all the time. Whenever I get a chance of free time I go in my room and watch it. I'll flip to my favorite song and just get lost in the awesome of this DVD. It is a must have for all Queens Of The Stone Age fans. And even if you aren't the most hardcore of fans you'll still enjoy it. Great DVD gift for fans.