Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
Queens of the Stone Age: Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD]

'Over The Years And Through The Woods' is a live DVD/CD package, recorded while the Queens were on tour in London in 2005. This was in the period straight after the release of their album 'Lullabies To Paralyse'. Q.O.T.S.A's sound at this stage therefore is very similar to their 'Lullabies' album. 'Over The Years...' may not please everyone, especially the people that prefer to listen only to studio recordings. Personally, I prefer listening to live recordings or going to gigs myself because that's where you get an idea of just how good a band really is - whether they can back up what they do in the studio on stage, in front of ten thousand people or so. The Queens do this brilliantly, putting on an excellent performance that keeps you listening from start to finish.

Content — 9
Being a live DVD/CD package as mentioned previously, it contains most of the Queens' major hits, and a few other songs that really carry over excellently from the studio to the stage. Here's the tracklist: 01. This Lullaby 02. Go With The Flow 03. Feel Good Hit Of The Summer 04. Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret 05. Regular John 06. Song For The Deaf 07. Avon 08. Little Sister 09. You Can't Quit Me Baby 10. I Wanna Make It Wit Chu 11. Monsters In The Parasol 12. The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died 13. Mexicola 14. Burn The Witch 15. Covered In Punk's Blood 16. I Think I Lost My Headache 17. Song For The Dead 18. I Never Came 19. No One Knows 20. Long Slow Goodbye Also, the special features option has live versions of other Queens songs that weren't recorded in London. These are: 01. The Bronze 02. Mexicola 03. Better Living Through Chemistry 04. Auto Pilot 05. How To Handle A Rope 06. Quick And To The Pointless 07. You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire 08. God Is In The Radio 09. Hanging Tree 10. Song For The Dead 11. Regular John 12. Precious And Grace 13. Burn The Witch Not sure if you could ask for a much better track listing.

Production Quality — 9
The production of this DVD was brilliant. It's a lot more than just a live concert that's been put on DVD, it's a concert that features footage of the Queens when they were recording the albums that the songs came off, and also has footage of other live performances interspersed with footage from the London gig. This makes it not only good to listen to, but makes it interesting to sit down and watch as well.

This is one of my favourite live DVDs or CDs, that says a lot, because I've got plenty. Probably the most impressive thing about this DVD/CD combo would have to be the content and the track list, and it's versatility. You could put this on at home to listen to, or you could stick it on at a party or whatever and it'd keep the place rockin' (just like any other Queens album would). Over The Years And Through The Woods captures the Queens if not at their best, then pretty damn close to it. I'd definitely replace it without thinking twice if I lost it or it got stolen. For an impulsive buy at the time, I'm certainly not regretting spending 30 AUD on it.

Gnomestar
    gtr-boy wrote: i have this DVD and i did not enjoy it at all queens of the stone age's songs sound all teh same execpt for there few hits
    wot the hell r u smoking?
    SinnedB
    Where can I find tabs for the bit they play in the middle of no one knows?