Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Review

artist: Queens of the Stone Age date: 01/10/2008 category: compact discs
Queens of the Stone Age: Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD]
Release Date: November 22, 2005
The centerpiece of the DVD, and all of the CD, is their London shows at the Brixton Academy and Kokos from the summer of 2005, but the DVD's bonus footage includes a wealth of performances shot at the time of each album's release. an excellent DVD, and while the CD isn't nearly as an immersing experience, it is a lean, hard live album that thrives on its casual virtuosity.
 Content: 9.6
 Production Quality: 8.8
 8.8
 9.4
 8.1
 1,056
Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Reviewed by: drevil814, on december 28, 2005

Sound: Queens Of The Stone Age have finally released a concert DVD/CD. I am a huge QOTSA fan and I am not disappointed at all by this DVD. It's great, the sound quality is magnificent and the visual is good. It switches between 2 concerts and the video on one isn't the greatest, because it's very grainy. This is made up by the pure awesome of the songs. You will hear Homme make refrences to the times he couldn't do the show because of a sickness he had. This caused one of the shows to be cancelled, but he returns and rocks the place out, so it's all good. QOTSA's music style is very hard to classify because they cover so many genres. It's great to hear some of your favorites songs with a new twist on them. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a must own for any QotSA fan. If you don't buy it, you're doing a great injustice to QOTSA. The most impressive thing about this DVD is the way they put new spins on your favorite songs. Take No One Knows for example, they throw in an orgasmic solo in the middle of it, and then build upon it, it's great. I love this DVD and if it were stolen, I'd buy it again. I'd probably buy an extra one in case someone decids they want to steal my new copy. I really can't get enough of this DVD. // 10

Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Reviewed by: americanmovie23, on december 22, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album shows just how full of a sound the new line up has. On their self titled debut in 1998 and with 2000's "Rate R" there seems to be no bottom to the music. They didn't reach their full sound until 2002's "Songs For The Deaf." However Queens Of The Stone Age has changed alot. Its gone to being Josh Homme as the only remaining original member of Queens. Now it is Josh Homme, Alain Johannes, Troy Van Luewan, Joey Castillo, and Natasha Schneider. And this is the way that Queens should have been all along. They revamp garage rock songs like "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" and "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret" into walls of sound and harmonies. The guitars are such a cool sound. Its like a beautiful rose found in the dumpster. It's ugly but so beautiful and catchy. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of the best DVD/CD sets I've ever bought. I'm addicted to this DVD I watch it all the time. Whenever I get a chance of free time I go in my room and watch it. I'll flip to my favorite song and just get lost in the awesome of this DVD. It is a must have for all Queens Of The Stone Age fans. And even if you aren't the most hardcore of fans you'll still enjoy it. Great DVD gift for fans. // 9

Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Reviewed by: smb, on december 27, 2005

Sound: Despite complaints of muddy sound at the venue this was filmed at, the sound quality on the main feature of this DVD is really very good. Since this is Queens Of The Stone Age, they can't play any of the songs as they are on the albums, No One Knows for example has a lengthy addition between verses. This kind of thing makes their live shows fantastic. // 9

Overall Impression: This is the only QOTSA DVD available, and it compares favourably to the countless bootlegs available. That said, if you're after a specific (non London 2005) gig then you would probably prefer to trawl the internet to try and find a video of that one than this particular gig. Given the lineup changes, concerts from another QOTSA era might be more to your taste, but this DVD does contain plenty of older material in the bonus section. All in all a great buy for a fan, and a good reminder of how great they were live this year! // 9

Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Reviewed by: Uber-rocker, on april 12, 2007

Sound: 'Over The Years And Through The Woods' is a live DVD/CD package, recorded while the Queens were on tour in London in 2005. This was in the period straight after the release of their album 'Lullabies To Paralyse'. Q.O.T.S.A's sound at this stage therefore is very similar to their 'Lullabies' album. 'Over The Years...' may not please everyone, especially the people that prefer to listen only to studio recordings. Personally, I prefer listening to live recordings or going to gigs myself because that's where you get an idea of just how good a band really is - whether they can back up what they do in the studio on stage, in front of ten thousand people or so. The Queens do this brilliantly, putting on an excellent performance that keeps you listening from start to finish. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite live DVDs or CDs, that says a lot, because I've got plenty. Probably the most impressive thing about this DVD/CD combo would have to be the content and the track list, and it's versatility. You could put this on at home to listen to, or you could stick it on at a party or whatever and it'd keep the place rockin' (just like any other Queens album would). Over The Years And Through The Woods captures the Queens if not at their best, then pretty damn close to it. I'd definitely replace it without thinking twice if I lost it or it got stolen. For an impulsive buy at the time, I'm certainly not regretting spending 30 AUD on it. // 10

Over The Years And Through The Woods [DVD] Reviewed by: Krushr`, on january 10, 2008

Sound: Queens of the Stone Age always seem to be able to deliver whether in the studio or on the stage and this DVD/CD combo is no exception. Recorded at London's Brixton Academy in 2005, QOTSA manage to play some of their greatest tracks as well as a number of fan favourites. The thing with Live QOTSA is that Homme and co. always try and find a new way to make some of their older songs more interesting, for example, You Can't Quit Me, Baby, has been extended by another 2 or 3 minutes over it's counterpart on their self-titled album. Avon features an extended drum solo performed by Joey Castillo, Song For The Dead and No One Knows from Songs for the Deaf have also been changed and extended. This testifies to QOTSA's nature as a live band. // 10

Overall Impression: Compared to other Live Concert DVDs I've purchased, this would rank very close to, if not at the top. The amazing and experimental effects and filters used in post production added another layer of atmosphere to the show, the extensions onto already great songs and a plethora of bonus content is enough for it to earn it's place among the top. This DVD is always finding itself in a DVD player around me, and quite often accompanies me on trips to other peoples' houses too. If it were stolen, I'd be replacing it as soon as possible, it is well worth the money. // 10

Comments