Queens Of The Stone Age review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Oct 6, 1998
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Queens of the Stone Age: Queens Of The Stone Age

I'm suprised no one has reviewed this album as of yet because it is QOTSA. Those who are aware of the recent Queens split will know that Josh Homme will be working on the 4th album mostly by himself. This album was recorded by Josh Homme and a drummer so similarities could be expected. Most of the stuff is fairly typical of the Queens but having first listend to 'Rated-R' and 'Songs For The Deaf' this album seems incomplete. There won't be the vocals from bassist Nick Olivieri and guitarist Mark Lanegan, which might dissappoint but dude! They hadn't joined the band yet! 'Queens of the Stone Age' is basically a sample of Josh's guitaring skills which are really good as we all know ('Hispanic Impressions'). My favourite track is 'Regular John', which is the first track (hmmm...) I did find myself getting bored of the album going through.

The lyrics aren't as good as those on the next two albums. They're good it's not as if you seriously think about the crapness of them but they just seem like sandwich filler...

'Songs for the Deaf' had warped me from the 1st track, I was not witness to QOTSA evolution as it happened, consequently their 1st album is a bit pants. Although essential if your a fan, I seriously pondered over it and shamefully realised that it was dull. There are no anthems ('Nicotine, Valium, Vycodine, Marujana, Ecstascy and Alcohol') like 'No one Knows', there are no suspenseful songs ('Better living through Chemistry') and there are no psychotic Olivieri shoutings ('Tension Head'). But then QOTSA fans will know that their band is a live band so all is not lost. But then maybe it is since Olivieri and Lanegan have left. With Homme all alone in the recording studios (we pray for you) for the 4th album, I begin to question the Queen's future.