Queens Of The Stone Age review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Oct 6, 1998
Queens of the Stone Age: Queens Of The Stone Age

This CD sounds incredible to say the least. It's very comparable to their latest (Lullabies To Paralyze) in that, there's no Oliveri on bass/vocals, Josh Homme was the main creative force behind it, and Homme delivers the same dark vibe with sexual sort of tinge to everything (just faster, and edgier than "Lullabies"). Granted QOTSA's music has evolved from this point, but the sound overall is excellent.

I'll put this way, Josh Homme pulls off everthing he does on this album. Some of the lyrics are odd and by definition seem out of place, but everything fits with the music in a very Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" sort of way. The sound of the lyrics with the music comes together much like "Lullabies" meets "Rated R" (again its the absence of Oliveri). Everything concerning the lryics and vocals aren't as fine-tuned as they are on any of the subsequent albums, but they are in no way even slightly bad.

Being a longtime fan of both QOTSA and Kyuss I've bought all their albums (except this one, until now). All I can really say is that I wish I had picked this up sooner. I heard the singles from this CD way back when it first came out, but for whatever reason I didn't check out QOTSA until "Rated R" was out. The standout songs to me are the first three (regular Jhon, Avon, and If Only) along with Hispanic Impressions (Guitar track) and Give the Mule what he wants (it left an impression for whatever reason). I'd recommend this CD for any QOTSA fan, especially those who enjoyed "Lullabies". If it were lost/stolen I'd go out and buy two more copies just to make sure it didn't happen again.