Queens Of The Stone Age/Beaver review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Sep 22, 1998
Queens of the Stone Age: Queens Of The Stone Age/Beaver

Released before their full-length, self-titled debut, this split EP with the band Beaver marked only the second time Josh Homme recorded under the Queens of the Stone Age name. It would be very easy to ignore the Dutch band's half of the album, continuing on today with a small fanbase whereas QOTSA have certainly risen to prominence. Though their two tracks "Morocco" and "Absence Without Leave" are both great slices of unpolished stoner rock, heavily envoking Kyuss. I'd have probably searched for more of their stuff if it wasn't impossible to find.

As far as Queens of the Stone Age goes, the lyrical spark that shines through on every record of theirs is certainly present here. Homme's voice isn't as clean cut as it would later become, but it's enough on his only vocal performance, "The Bronze" ("These Aren't The Droids You're Looking For" is a fantastic instrumental). Roel Schoenmakers of Beaver has a fantastic voice for the style of music his band performs and though I pailed little or no attention to what he was actually saying, his vocals sounded great.

Taking nothing away from Beaver, I value the QOTSA side of the album more and by quite a distance. Everything I love about the band is present here and "The Bronze" remains one of my favourite tracks Homme has ever produced. Together, both halves make a very satisfying whole and is another great product from the '90s stoner rock boom. Is it worth the extortionate price asked for on the internet? If you've got it, spend it.

bolezhinkov
    red157
    bolezhinkov wrote: you didnt even listen to the lyrics of beaver? thats pretty poor record reviewing.
    Figure of speech dude. Nice twat comment though.
    hiyabuddy69
    smb wrote: The Bronze is good but I prefer Spiders or Droids from QotSA...and both Kyuss and the Desert Sessions are a lot better than QotSA.
    wrong
    higherworlds
    anything josh homme does is good, i kind of see it like its all the same shit you know, any way i like the era vulgaris version of the fun machine took a shit and died "your 10 pounds of sh-t in a 5 pound bag"
    NzT
    Unrelated but; The first disk on "B-Sides and Rarities" is great. Leaves me wondering why they left "Lightning Song" on R instead of Born to Hula or Ode to Clarissa.
    smb