Rated R review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Jun 6, 2000
Queens of the Stone Age: Rated R

I was introduced to Queens of the Stone Age through a friend who was and still is a big fan of theirs. He first suggested to listen to Songs for the Deaf and with good reason as anybody who hasn't heard them can get into the songs on that album. I was actually hesitant to like them at first but I have since gotten over that and am now a big fan. Rated R is the third disc I've listened to by them (Lullabies to Paralyze being the second) and I am quite happy with it. Some might complain about the simplicity and repetetiveness of some of the riffs on the album but I think that that's what hooks the listener into such tracks as "feel good hit of the summer" and "monsters in the parasol". The album goes into a wide range of sounds with the heavier songs like "Tension Head" and "Quick and to the Poinless" and the trippier, more psychedelic songs like "Auto Pilot" and "Leg of Lamb" which help to define the band's genre as part "stoner rock". Overall, the bands sound on this CD is awesome and I wouldn't change a thing.

There are two seperate singers on this album, the main frontman Josh Homme who does the bulk of the vocals and Nick Oliveri who contributes his own singing style of screaming. Both of these guys are awesome and I enjoy both of their songs immensely. Their singing styles are very unique and you can tell who is going to sing on a song before the vocals even come in. the lyrics in the songs range from very obvious drug references to girls and relationship references. Josh Homme is an excellent lyricist and writer.

I couldnt tell you which Queens album is their best because they are all so good. The songs that really stand out for me on this CD would be "Feel Good Hit of the Summer", "Better Living Through Chemisty", "Monsters In the Parasol", "Quick and to the Pointless", and "Tension Head". The range in both music and vocal styles on this album is wide and enjoyable to listen to every time. I would definitely buy this album if I ever lost it because it is one of my favorites that I have discovered in recent years.

Warsaw1
    Does anyone else think the song Auto Pilot is amazing? The lead guitar fills go perfectly with the song and the vocals are perfect for song about getting stoned.
    Auto Pilot is one of my favorites (along with In The Fade). Mark Lenagan's voice is amazing!