Rated R review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Aug 3, 2010
Queens of the Stone Age: Rated R

Like most QOTSA album's Rated R has many different sounds and styles. From hard rocking songs like (with guest backing vocals from Rob Halford) "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer" to soft mellow songs like "Lightning Song" or "Auto Pilot" all the way to the screamy "Quick and to the Pointless" or even the metal sounds of "Tension Head" which happens to have my favorite guitar riff on the album. Metal, Stoner-Metal, Robot-Rock, how ever you want to describe the music on Rated R, all I know is I love it.

Josh Homme's Vocal's and lyrics never cease to amaze me. He'll write cleaver lyrics on subjects from genitals, to drugs, to women, to even suicide. Even though the lyrics to "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" were probably written in about 2 minutes, it's just a fun song. But let's not forget about Nick Oliveri and Mark Lanegan's vocals on the album. these two always sound great and were definitely missed on 2004's "Lullabies to Paralyze."

Rated R is definitely one of my most loved albums, and a close 2nd to my favorite QOTSA album after Songs For The Deaf. To name favorite tracks on this album is very hard because they are all so good. If I had to pick I'd say "The Lost Art Of Keeping a Secret" & "Tension head" stand out. But that's just me. The track sequencing is also very well the album has a nice flow. If this album was lost or stolen, I would definitely buy it again. and if I went back in time and was unable to return, I would be the first person waiting for this albums release.

tsunami bomb
    red157
    tsunami bomb wrote: is it? which copy have you got? where can i get it? they both do vox on the track, along with josh.
    But Nick is the lead.