Songs for the Deaf review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Aug 26, 2002
Queens of the Stone Age: Songs for the Deaf

SFTD has a sound unlike any other. Its still got that signature QOTSA sound that we all know and love, but totaly different. After comming off there rated R album, which was pretty much a great joke on the whole rock thing, they realy sat down and wrote some great guitar riffs. They managed to get Dave Grohl back on the drums, so you already know that the drums will sound excilent. Stand-out songs from SFTD are the hit single of the album, No One Knows, with its awsome guitar riffs. Go With The Flow, was a fun song with a great video. My personal favorite sounding song would have to be the hidden track, Mosquito Song, a very well crafted 12 stringed guitar song. If you thing most all modern rock is crap, chech this album out.

These lyrics are amazing in SFTD. Josh Holme, who has managed to carrie his lyrical stylings from his former band Kyuss and has even carried it through the first two QOTSA albums has managed to keap it fresh every time. The anti-love songs in SFTD are good stand-out lyrical songs, but my favorite for lyrics will have to be Mosquito Song again. It's a song about a topic no one would have thought of ever, but these guys thought of it and pulled it off.

With all the praise I've been giving this album, your probably wondering why I didn't give it a 5. There was one thing that buged me about this album. The hit single No One Knows was such a great song, that it over-shadowed the rest of the album. SFTD had the potential to be one of the great rock albums of the past few years, but because of that and this wasn't an album that was publicised too well. This is the type of album that in ten to twenty years from now, it will be praised as the greatest rock album of our time. I will you leave you with my last thoughts, when I first heard SFTD, I though that I was driving down a desart road, and that's just the style of the album.