Songs for the Deaf review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Aug 26, 2002
Queens of the Stone Age: Songs for the Deaf

Josh Homme did a great job with selecting a drummer for this cd. Dave Grohl, drummer of the grunge band Nirvana and frontman to the Foo Fighters, appears as the drummer on "Songs for the Deaf". The CD is different, featuring radio segments before and after songs. Nick Oliveri (bass) and Homme sing together well. And Josh does a good job with the guitar riffs. But my favorite part is defeneitly Grohl's drumming. A diferrent style from the insane pounding of Nirvana, but style rather loud, Dave does a wonderful job here. A 9 for the sound of "Songs for the Deaf".

The vocals are split between bass player Nick Oliveri and Josh Homme. The lyrics here are well written on songs like "Go With the Flow", "No One Knows", and "Gonna Leave You". Nick and Josh have a similar sound to their voices. Josh does most of the backing vocals on the songs Josh sings and sound rather eerie with the music, but it goes great. A strong 8 for the combined efforts of Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri.

This is my favorite QOTSA cd. I love "No One Knows", "Gonna Leave You", "Go With the Flow", and "Mosquito Song". I have no problem with the CD, except maybe I would've liked to hear Dave do backing vocal somewhere. Defeinetly would buy this CD again if lost or something. This is a must buy for QOTSA fans featuring my favorite lineup. A 9 for QOTSA's "Songs for the Deaf".

red157
    It makes me laugh how this album is lower than most by the Foo's on here. Grohl himself says QOTSA were the best band he ever played with and this was the best album he ever appeared on.
    orion284
    This will go down as one of the must have CD's for anyone. The whole album is gold. Pure, rock. This album blows my mind every time I listen to it.
    Root Beer
    This was the first real hard rock album I got. I still listen to it to this day. Josh Homme is a genius and Dave Grohl's drumming suits the album perfectly. "Song for the Deaf" is perfect in every way.