Songs for the Deaf review by Queens of the Stone Age

• Released: Aug 26, 2002
Queens of the Stone Age: Songs for the Deaf

Let me tell you, this band has probably the most unique sound for any hard rock band out there. The fuzzy sounding guitars (best heard in "The Sky is Falling") sound great and most songs have an eerie undertone to them. There is no doubt this is a concept album, with some breaks in between songs where you hear flipping through radio stations and a radio on-air. With the first few listens of the album it seems appropriate but after I while I just skipped through them to get to the music, which is the high point of the album. Tracks such as "No One Knows", "The Sky is Falling", and "God is on the Radio" stand out musically. The other tracks complement well and keep you listening.

Josh Homme is overall a solid singer and his voice perfectly fits the music, at times giving it an even more dark and eerie feeling. Mark Lanegan and Nick Oliveri also pitch in on vocals in a couple songs. Lanegan sounds well in "Hanging Tree" but I don't care too much for Oliveri's frantic screaming. I'm not the one to go to for lyrics, because 90% of the time I'm all about the music and just listening to what's going on with the guitars and drums and whatnot. From what I do pay attention to the lyrics for the most part sound dark/gloomy/stranded. Trust me when I say the focus when listening to this album should be mainly on the music.

If you're new to QOTSA, this is THE album. It best represents them and is definetly their most complete album (although there is a bit too much filler). It has a warm feel to it, countered by a dark outlook on the world. It's for the most part heavy. Dave Grohl plays drums on the album and he really does well (Listen to "No one Knows" or Millionare). This was the first album I bought when I heard of QOTSA, and I am a big fan of the group now. If you like good heavy music, give it a listen.

barden1069
    this album was like the first time you ever see snow... i was captivated enthralled listening to it then crashed while trying to drive with it
    W35M4N
    Some might disagree with me, but I don't think QOTSA has released a bad album. Overall, I have to say this one is the best out of their releases, although it's pretty close. If you like this one, get their others, they are all somewhat different, but they all have a subtly similar feel to them, and they are all well put together. And whoever said Josh Homme doesn't write good lyrics obviously hasn't listened to enough QOTSA.