American Soldier review by Queensrÿche

• Released: Mar 31, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Queensrÿche: American Soldier

Here's Queensryche a band that's been around a while, but there no longer worried about the quality of there music, they just got lazy picked a controversial subject (The war in Iraq) and recorded an album. I'm not saying I could do any better but I know they could have. The music in this album is not very catchy, interesting or enjoyable it's just music not good music but not horrible.

The lyrics in this album are nothing short of depressing although depressing lyrics aren't always good lyrics. I respect the U.S. Armed forces just as much as any other American but I really felt bored listening to Geoff Tate ramble on about fighting in the war. Obviously Tate has no first hand experience in the U.S. Military, so all the lyrics are fiction or are based on stories he had heard in the first stage of the writing process where he interview multiple American soldiers.

I never really like Queensryche, but I respect them even less with the release of American Soldier. Part of the problem with the album is that it's lack of catchy music. Not only are the songs unoriginal, but also the music itself is monotonous. The music was so boring I found it hard to listen to the album even once let alone the second and third time. Now don't get me wrong this album is no Scream (Chris Cornell), But it isn't any Physical graffiti (Led Zeppelin) either. If this album was lost or stolen I probably wouldn't even notice.

dish50
    Holy crap review. Maybe if you read the lyrics or even took american english, you just might be able to understand the album. Just look at your grammer in your column. Go back to kindergarder and try learning it. Then maybe i'll listen to your opinion.
    Shockme77
    Its obviously the reviewer hasnt had any military experience either, because if he actually took the time to listen to the lyrics you would find the songs also refer to Somalia and Vietnam, not just Iraq. Its also not about catchy music, its all about capturing the moment and telling a story, which i believe american soldier does very well
    HORSE ASSASSIN
    when i first when out to pick up this album i was very disapointed, it was much less than what i had expected of queensryche. don't get me wrong i'm still a fan of queensryche but i try to pretend like this album was never released.