American Soldier review by Queensrÿche

• Released: Mar 31, 2009
Queensrÿche: American Soldier

Overall, the sounds employed by Queensryche in this album are quite heavy, and and remind you of the Operation Mindcrime I and II days. It is, as many know, a concept album, depicting the wars that America has fought in roughly the past 50-60 years, and has many narratives from real-life veterans showing their views on that war, and war in general. Songs like "If I Were King" have a real story behind it.

The lyrics on "American Soldier" are quite profound, and in some cases blindingly real. Geoff Tate has aquirred these narratives and stories for a very long time, and has used them to create a real concept album, that has real meaning. Geoff Tate is, as always, one of the best singers to ever front a band.

Overall, it is an album that is reminiscent of something they would have done in the 80's, like I said earlier, Operation Mindcrime I and II. The sound is actually much close to the album Empire though. The lyrics almost remind me of Rage Against The Machine... With a much better singer though. I love the narratives in there... But I wish Chris DeGarmo was back as lead guitar and shredding some solos... I would definitely buy this album back if it was stolen or lost.