Operation: Mindcrime II review by Queensrÿche

• Released: Mar 14, 2006
Queensrÿche: Operation: Mindcrime II

This is the newest Queensryche album to date. This album is a continuation of the first Mindcrime CD. I'm not sure exactly what the story behind the whole Mindcrime thing is, but it adds a cool element to the sound. The recording quality is exelent. Michael Wilton's guitar work on this album is amazing. This album has more heavy songs than slow songs. A lot of the songs start out slow and get heavier as time goes on. They use some weird voice tracks at the begining of some of the songs that sound really cool.

The vocals on this album are awsome. I think that Queensryche singer Geoff Tate is one of the best rock singers ever. The vocals go great with the music. The lyrics, like a lot of Queensryche albums, are somewhat political. Espically the song I'm American. I'm not posivtive but it sounds like Ronnie James Dio guest stars on one of the songs, which is very cool.

Overall I think that this is one of the best Queensryche albums to date. My favorite songs are One Foot in Hell, I'm American, The Hands and Re-Arange You. None of the songs are just ok. All songs are amazing. You can tell that they didn't just throw this album together in a few days. I would recommend this CD to any Queensryche fan.

Cobain-iac_90
    Yeah, that is Ronnie James Dio as the mysterious Dr. X. Great album, Queensryche owns.
    joen00b
    Musically, it is a solid album, it carries the onus of living up to it's namesake, and therefore fails. Geoff and Mike went retro to recapture the sound, going so far as to rent the same studio spaces and rent equipment that they used in the mid 80's when they recorded the the first O:MC. Lyrically, it's weaker than the first, and musically, it's a stand-up album, but Chris DeGarmo is definitely smirking somewhere. The attempts to rip off his hooks overtly fail and the chord progressions just feel incomplete or unfinished, like there should be a few more notes to make it a full on Chris DeGarmo riff or something. Tate's voice is much weaker than it was almost 20 years ago, and the high notes don't come as easy, but he still is an excellent singer. They even brought back the original singer for Mary and even her voice seems tired. Ronnie James Dio is the only truly remarkable voice on the album, honestly, but the other voices are strong, but not strong enough overall. It's good, it answers questions that didn't need to be answered (Who killed Mary? Well, per O:MC1, Nikki did!), and exactly how powerful Dr.X is etc. If it had been given any other name, it would be a solid album with an ok story, but since they wanted the noteriety associated with the original, it falls far short of expectations. It is a good album, really, they just let marketing get the best of them and tainted what was once a great story with it's sequel. Mind you, it's not a 'Highlander 2' in comparison, but more of a 'Lethal Weapon 2'. Good in it's own right, but not as good as the original. I'd give it a 7 overall.
    SireGreat
    I heard some bad things about this album, but maybe i'll give it a try. But honestly, no album (maybe an exception on dark side of the moon) is a 10 in everything. a 10 in everything is not human. This is my new theory on giving reviews. I'll start a religion based on that principle. who's in?
    lemon
    woah i didn't even know this album came out yet i'll be sure to check it out
    AH@2112
    great review thanks i cant wait to get the album my dad keeps forgetting to take me to get it.
    onfire247
    I'm a huge Queensryche fan, and I bought the CD the day it came out, but it just isn't Queensryche without DeGarmo. The thing that made the first Mindcrime so great was the combination of Tate's voice and DeGarmo's stylings. Hate to say it, but I was disappointed with Mindcrime II. I wish DeGarmo would have come back to do the new one.
    GuitarSacrifice
    I 100% agree with onfire. I really really dont like OpMC2, it has a couple of decent songs, but over all, sucks compared to their older and way better stuff!!!
    tbarrettl
    tbarrettl
    tbarrettl wrote: im American didn't sound like any queensryche I know, the musical work is good though but rage esk
    Never mind that I got the whole thing and it is just musically awesome and i would put im american as not the strongest on the album but the hands.