Operation: Mindcrime II review by Queensrÿche

• Released: Mar 14, 2006
Queensrÿche: Operation: Mindcrime II

The sound of Queensryche's new Operation Mindcrime II album is definitely more widespread then it's prequel. That something which I've indulged in, yet it is also something which is holding me back from giving the sound a solid ten rating. I wasn't expecting to hear a dark synthy opening in the first "Freiheit ouverture" track or for that matter hear more orchestral or synthesized sounds snuck into the a couple of tracks in the album. That's just not Queensryche, and I think they could've done without that. Aside from that, I think Queensryche has adopted a new taste which I'm loving already. Their songs are a bit heavier, yet they keep the same "Mystery Ballad" theme adopted from the prequel.

The lyrical content is very clever, and it's poetic, but not the point of where you're guessing so many things about what it means that the lyrics could mean a zillion things. So you're never lost in the story. Accompanied by the lyrics are background sounds to let you know what the characters are doing, it gives you a vivid picture of the environments that characters are in. It's almost like a movie.

It's a worthy follow up to Operation Mindcrime I, but not quite as good. Like I said, they're sound is different than previous albums like Empire and even Operation Mindcrime I. The album is heavier than the prequel, which is pretty cool if you're in favor of that stuff. But if you bought the album to listen to more Operation Mindcrime themed songs, that's in there too. The album also has some other little stuff in there that will throw you off a little. It's definitely a worth while album to get.

luis.centeno.92
    I´ve met the band with this album and for me the voice was outstandingly amazing, later i´ve listened to the original record (First Mindcrime) and it was completely awesome (blew my mind literally)... the story is pretty flat on the sequel but i try not to think but to enjoy...
    Gimmicky
    The album is not PERFECT, but you have to take into consideration; the AGE that they artists are now. PLUS; The TIME that the original Mindcrime was wrote and set in MADE IT. MindcrimeII comes off as a DeGarmo cover-band, but they managed to pull it off.. Its not Mindcrime but for the Rychers that demanded a second mindcrime, I think this gets the job done.
    Gimmicky
    PS: The chase is the best off the Album... Excellent duet, Their Voices match seamlessly (They sound VERY similar at some points)
    idpmofo
    Tate and Wilton have alot of talent, but no DeGarmo; no Mindcrime.
    seanjtysoe
    Tate and Wilton have alot of talent, but no DeGarmo; no Mindcrime. why? tate came up with the concept and wilton had more solos on it. get off the degarmo band wagon.