The Art Of Live [DVD] Review

artist: Queensrÿche date: 08/21/2004 category: compact discs
Queensrÿche: The Art Of Live [DVD]
Released: Apr 20, 2004
The show itself (in black and white) is good, but if only production would have been more careful this DVD would be a hit. Come on guys, enough with the slow-mo cameras and the matte finish! This is 2004.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 4
 4.9
 3.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
The Art Of Live [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 21, 2004

Sound: It's amazing. Queensryche is such a great band, and perhaps because of the limited budget this DVD kinda sucks. Tate's vocals are way too processed, it seems they turned on the 70's 'Dolby noise reduction' button and every single word he sings sounds squashed (too much compression maybe) and without dinamics. The drums sound amazing thouugh and I believe Rockenfield's Paiste Cymbals raise the bar even more with that wonderful crisp ride cymbal sound. The guitar playing is also very weak on the newer stuff. The new guy isn't a bad guitar player, but I have a feeling a lot of the artistry of this band left with DeGarmo. I'd be interested to see what he's playing these days. On the older material, the presence and clarity isn't bad, but it ain't what it used to be. This band used to be so tight. Even since their first album, they were reknown for their progressive edge to melody, harmony, lyrics, and arrangement. This tour is either a mistaken artistic path or a sleezy grab for the bucks. We can probably blame the record execs or something, maybe they nixed all the prog tunes in favor of the tracks they thought would sell. I'm not completely writing them off, but if the next album sounds like this one, I will for sure. // 6

Overall Impression: The discrepancy between the old and new tunes on this DVD is hillarious. When playing the old tunes, the band comes alive, playing and singing better than on the new stuff. The stage presence is better (more energy, less "esse-ness") and the arrangements are also better than the newer tunes, though much less dense than they were on the Mindcrime tour. This concert is not without a few shining moments, but overall... it's definitely a sad day for fans of prog rock. // 6

Comments