Around The Sun Review

R.e.m.: Around The Sun
Released: Oct 5, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
Around the Sun offers no weighty themes ? it dabbles in politics and relationships, but the lyrics never seem to mesh with the music ? and it's emotionally removed, keeping listeners at a considerable distance.
 8.8
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Around The Sun Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 12, 2004

Sound: In case you aren't aware, REM shaped the post-punk alternative sound in the eighties with hits like "The One I Love" and "It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)". Now, they have a brand new album that doesn't have the jangly guitars sounds that Peter Buck is known for, or the siren like vocals of bass player Mike Mills. It is unlike anything a fan of R. E. M. has ever heard. The album has one theme, Post 9/11 America. Apart from the poppy "Wanderlust", the album is slow and features very few electric instruments. // 8

Lyrics: Michael Stipe's voice is the center of this album. He sounds better than he has on the band's last two efforts. The lyrics are classic REM. They are enigmatic and can be interpreted however the listener wants. This means if you hear the song "Leaving New York" as a love song, someone else could hear it as a breakup song. You would both be right. There are some great lines in this. It brings back memories of early 90's REM. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is their best album in at least ten years. It sounds like their 1992 classic album "Automatic For The People". This featured songs such as "Man On The Moon", "Everybody Hurts", and "Find The River". Each of these songs seems to have one that resembles it Around The Sun. Because of the lyrical intensity, powerful music, and strong message, this album deserves a 5. // 10

Around The Sun Reviewed by: Quark113, on march 05, 2007

Sound: Very mellow. It all sounds the same, but not in a bad way. If lyrics are your thing then you'll have a rough time, they're the best way to distinguish between two tracks but they don't stand out much. However, once you've listened to the whole album all the way through with no breaks, no distractions or anything, it will really hit you what a masterpiece it is. Also, listen for the intro to Electron Blue (a personal favorite) and the outro of Around The Sun (I don't think it's that great, but that's my opinion, and it's in no way bad). // 7

Lyrics: They don't stand out much. They are very good though, when you listen to them, because they really mean something. It really paints a picture/movie in your head (Often a very beautiful one) and with each stroke/frame you see how much more beautiful it is, each time you listen to it. // 8

Overall Impression: It really is quintessential R.E.M., and it is a good test of whether you'd like this sort of stuff or not. I'd say the best songs are Electron Blue, Wanderlust, The Boy In The Well, and The Ascent of Man. The only thing I would say I hate about it is sometimes I would say it's a little too mellow, but that's what Led Zep IV's for. As for everything else, I love it. I'd get it again for sure, it's worth the $$$$, and I'd probably get a copy of New Adventures In Hi-Fi just for E-Bow The Letter, they're that good. // 8

Comments