Live [DVD] review by R.E.M.

• Released: Oct 16, 2007
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 9
R.E.M.: Live [DVD]

Before I bought this record I had just been a casual R.E.M. fan, I knew the hits and that was about it. And I wanted this because I thought it would be interesting to see how songs were done live. This album has made me really love R.E.M. One of the things I always hated about their studio albums was so many songs had poor sound and sort of sterile. On this album the feeling in the songs really shines and it sounds so much more genuine. This album really offers a whole new appreciation for the band and what they do.

Content — 9
The DVD is just the concert footage which isn't actually a problem because it's so awesome. It is actually put together from two concerts but the difference isn't that obvious. The set list is really good as they play most of their biggest hits and even some older ones that never really caught on such as 'Cuyahoga' and 'Don't Go Back to Rockville'. I would have liked to see some other songs like 'Gardening At Night' but it's better that there aren't as many hits because you can realize how good some of the newer songs actually are.

Production Quality — 9
The video is very well put together and there many interesting camera views which was really neat. There are some tricks with the overall hue of the screen but nothing too flashy. The light show isn't over the top but kind of cool, it's sort of generic. My only complaint would be that Michael Stipe is the focus about 85% of the time. Not to take away from him but there are other people on stage that are interesting.

This is so much better than any studio album by R.E.M. the sound is just amazing and Michael Stipe rarely misses a beat. The most impressive thing to me was the improved performances of classics that are so much better than before especially 'Orange Crush' and 'The Great Beyond'. I really can't complain about this DVD it's one of the best I've ever seen and if I lost it I would by it in a heartbeat. I should also point out that the DVD comes with 2 CDs the first is the main set and the second is the encores. Top of the line.