Second Heat review by Racer X

• Released: Feb 10, 1987
Racer X: Second Heat

This album was relased in 1988, year that has seen to arise groups like Cacophony and Dream Teather (also if their first album was pubblicated one year later). Racer X line-up is a little different respect Street Lethal album, infact the drummer was replaced by Scott Travis and a new guitarist was engaged (his name is Bruce Bouillet and was a student of Paul in GIT). The legend narrate that this two guys, Paul and Bruce play together until eight hours to the day. The results are perfectly visible in Cd's tracks. As it regards the sound, it's very different respect their first album. At my advice the volume of drums it too high and the guitar are too much distorted.

In my opinion Jeff Martin is not a good singer (he is better as drummer, like he'll dimostrate in Badlands). That's because his voice isn't very suitable for the kind of music played by the group, I think Jeff voice is better for a death metal group. The best tracks are those instrumental wherewe can see all the talent of this very great musicians.

My vote is conditioned by the fact that in this CD there are only two interesting song. The first is Scarified (that I consider one of the best instrumental rock song), a must for any Paul Gilbert or shred guitar fun; and the second is Heart Of A Lion given away from Jeff's friend Rob Halford (yes it's a Judas Priest song). However this is a unique album and rappresent together with Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force and Cacophony's Speed Metal Symphony cds, the bible of neo-classical rock. W Racer X, w Paul Gilbert (my fovourit guitarist).