Brain Cycles Review

8.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Brain Cycles Reviewed by: iommi600, on march 13, 2012

Sound: Second studio album by Radio Moscow, released in 2009. I usually don't like to call bands like Radio Moscow as "retro"; it sounds like they're just trying to imitate the past, while I see this just as a great genre of music proving that it's still alive. While there's nothing really groundbreaking about their sound, damn, this sounds "seventish" enough to be called as "retro". In this album, you can find some really heavy blues, coming from acts like Cream and Jimi Hendrix Experience, in tunes like "I Just Don't Know", "No Jane" and "Broke Down". Guitars are really loud and got that awesome bluesy tune, while the bass is also loud enough to give this an amazing boost when it comes to power, with drums also doing a masterful job and crushing everything. There's stuff here that also reminds me of Led Zeppelin, like "No Good Woman", which sounds like a mix of "Heartbreaker" and "Moby Dick". So, I guess you already have a hint about what to expect from this album, if you never heard it. This is especially made for any fan of the late 60's/early 70's mix of blues, hard rock and psychedelia. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics here on this album basically talks about women and some really crazy trips. Goes from things like even the song title can give away, like "No Good Woman", to lines like "My mind's getting just too high to climb/The gnomes lay a path behind me" on "No Jane". This is also the kind of lyrics that you can find around the 60's and 70's, I guess. When it comes to Parker Griggs' vocals, I think they fit just fine at the band's sounding. He apparently used some kind of an effect in the mic that just made the whole thing insane. You listen to his voice and you promptly think you're high. His singing may not be the best in the world, but his voice can be very powerful. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, that's it. Like I've said before, if you're interested in this mix of blues rock, hard rock and psychedelia and never listened to this album, go do it now. This sounds like the period between 1966 and 1973 locked in a nutshell and lost in the 00's, joining influences from Cream, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, among other rock and roll monsters from that time. In this album, I would highlight the fantastic 8 minute piece "No Good Woman", "City Lights", which sounds like ZZ Top lost in Iowa and "I Just Don't Know" and "Broke Down", both opening the album at full force with their heavy bluesy sound. But honestly, there isn't a single thing wrong with this album, in my opinion. A must have for any fan of the genres cited in this review. I'm proud to say I own this album, and I will totally buy this again if it gets lost or something. // 9

Comments