Airbag/How Am I Driving? review by Radiohead

• Released: Apr 21, 1998
Radiohead: Airbag/How Am I Driving?

First, let me start off saying that I am 14 years old, I love Radiohead. I picked up the last copy of this EP availible in the local music store. I had heard it was pretty good and thought I would check it out. I bought OK Computer with the money I received last Christmas and it is every bit as good as the hype surrounding it makes it out to be. Anyway while listening to the EP, I almost needed an airbag for the drive home. This EP might possibly be the best ever released. 01. Airbag: the classic opener from OK Computer, while seemingly a bit underproduced compared to the album version, still the same epic song it always was. 5/5 02. Pearly*: sick. just Sick. I love the "Darling, use me" part with Thom's awesome falsetto. One of the best B-sides Radiohead has ever created. 5/5 03. Meeting In The Aisle: Radiohead's first attempt at an instrumental is also their best (Treefingers and Hunting Bears don't come close) 4/5 04. A Reminder: again another great song. Has a build from people quietly talking in the background. Soft for the most part, Thom almost whispers the lyrics. 4/5 05. Polyetheylene (Parts 1 & 2): holy crap. Seriously, why isn't this on OK Computer. This is the best Radiohead song ever written. Yes, I just said it. Paranoid Android is 2nd of course but the way this song goes from a soft Thom acoustic number to the full band blowing the ceiling of off the studio this was recorded in is amazing. Infinity/5 06. Melatonin: and things cool down now. A soft strings and piano ballad is short but sweet. Average song, similar to Motion Picture Soundtrack from Kid A. 3/5 07. Palo Alto: this song is so sick. Combining scratchy effects with punky power chords, Thom talks of the "City of the Future." This song was originally called OK Computer apparently, could also have been on the album, but doesn't really fit that well. Great Closer 5/5

The lyrics on this album are exceptional, and would expect nothing less from Thom Yorke, the greatest lyricist of my lifetime. Polyethylene has some of the best lyrics he ever wrote. Thoms voice is as incredible as always, highlights are on Pearly* and again, Polyethylene... tears of joy now scare ourselves of all that you want to be just got paid and now you're going, how inside you please if i get scared I'll just call you and I'll miss your glow as I unsettle oh, and I'll always feel, I will always be

If the rest of the B-sides from OKC had been included, this could have been a great stand alone album. Polyethylene, Pearly* and Palo Alto are the best songs along with the single Airbag. I love the creativeness of the melodies and music, a standard that Radiohead has set for themselves. I would definatly buy this over and over if I lost it or it was stolen. The packaging is very cool with sarcastic "quesionaire" and the art is like a branch off of the tree of OKC. A great complement to the best album of the 90s. "If you don't believe me, sell your soul."