Amnesiac review by Radiohead

• Released: Jun 5, 2001
Radiohead: Amnesiac

Alright, let's take a look at this from a musical point of view. And I'm not just one of those OK Computer worshippers, either. When Kid A came out I was still pumped. But Amnesiac is lacking a little bit in many areas. Kid A was brilliant, but Amnesiac just sounds like they got a little carried away with the techno stuff. Sure, there were still good songs in there, and it was still pure genius, but the genius was pretty much hiding in the shadow of all the weirdness. I'm still behind Radiohead 100% though.

I can't really say anything bad about the lyrics. Thom Yorke is just amazing, and Radiohead has been known to consistently write awesome lyrics. The songcraft itself is pretty brilliant, but I didn't like all of the weird voice effects Yorke used. They did add a new dimension to the songs, but he completely overdid the distorted voice stuff.

Overall this album is still well worth the money. A hell of a lot better than anything else that came out in '99. I just thought that they could have had a little more song, a little less robotic monotonous drone. I still have to hand it to them; no other band could have taken these songs and made them sound as good as Radiohead did. I really respect them for how they broadened themselves musically, and that's what has kept me a fan for all these years.