Amnesiac review by Radiohead

• Released: Jun 5, 2001
Radiohead: Amnesiac

Let me begin with the fact that I am presently 14 years old. Radiohead is in my top 5 bands along with Floyd, Zeppelin, and the Who. This was the last Radiohead piece I had left untouched. I had heard all the "Kid B" jokes and thought ehh what the heck I'll buy it, I love Radiohead... I love it. I love being challenged by music, and this album is certainly a final exam. The soundscapes range from Knives Out, a pretty straight forward rock song, to Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, which I have no idea what to say to describe it. Here's my review. 01. Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box: begins with electronica, but eventually Thom's voice kicks in, making it a decent album opener. 4/5 02. Pyramid Song: this song is like no other. I love the F# G piano chord change and there is absolutely no time signature present until the drums come in. I love all the aspects of this song and It is certainly one of the best on this album, if not of Radiohead's whole discography. 5/5 03. Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors: this one I never got into. Its a bad combination of Idioteque with darker techno and Kid A. It has a few seconds of glory but overall, I skip it most of the time. 1.5/5 04. You And Whose Army?: now this song rocks. Beginning with Thom's voice overdubbed over soft guitar strums, It bursts into a full-band anthem at the end, with piano spearing the attack. My favorite song on the album, in my top 10 favorites by Radiohead. 10/5 05. I Might Be Wrong: the US single, based on a bass (yes, bass, guitar!) riff Thom wrote when he was 16. I like the melody, pretty cool. 5/5 06. Knives Out: the more famous single, covered by many groups. Has layering of guitars, similar to Paranoid Android with a different beat. Nice, 5/5 07. Morning Bell/Amnesiac: another of my favorites from the album, this reprise is better than the Kid A version. "Where'd you park the car?" 5/5 08. Dollars and Cents: an obviously economic song, bass and drums stand out. Nice again, 4/5 09. Hunting Bears: an instrumental, nothing special 2/5 10. Like Spinning Plates: this song is billions, I mean BILLIONS times better live (check out the version on the I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings EP) However, with the weird blips in the background, I'm not digging it as much in the studio. 2/5 11. Life In A Glasshouse: nice closer. I love the jazz influence, less concaphonous than The National Anthem from Kid A. Someone is indeed listening in. 5/5

Nice lyrics in most spots, not as complex as in OK Computer or other albums. The lyrics do fit in most places, I can't say it would be enjoyable for the everyday listener, but I really like being challenged. Thom Yorke is as good as ever with his amazing vocals.

If you replace the version of Like Spinning Plates with the Live version, and Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors with any one of the number of B-sides from the album, It would be much better than Kid A. Even as it stands I think I like it better. Best songs are - You and Whose Army?, Pyramid Song, Morning Bell/Amnesiac, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, Life In A Glasshouse. I love the difficulty of listen, but I really don't like the way they inserted the above songs among the rest of the album. I would definatly buy it again, maybe even upgrade to the deluxe edition. C'mon, If you think you can take us all. - You and Whose Army? Radiohead certainly took me.